Hedgerows and trees.

Frontrowfencing

Hi all,

Not sure how many of you know anything about the new cross compliance rules that are in change, but I have been informed trees now come under the same rules as hedgerows, so in theory as of 1st March until the 1st of September you are not allowed to cut/ trim them back. If it is something the farmers do or agree to it is upto them. It sounds like this may catch quite a few out as the busy time for inspections from defra is around summertime before harvest, the time when many farmers go around there fields and trim overhanging trees.

Just one to watch out for. Not sure how it will affect everyone, but thought I would pass this on.

we once had a guy drom defra or natural england @ the national hedge laying agm.

he got his ears well chewed by us, one date for the entire country? come-on,  and a very big hedge is always better to lay with the sap running and holly should be laid in May

If there is a branch in my way fencing its coming down end of.

I,agree with you on that, but as I say the farmers need to be careful before harvest when going round clearing hedges to get combines etc under the headlands. This is one of the areas they are going to be potentially looking at on inspections. Just a warning that is all.

making sure you get it right is fairly important

I know of a farmer who butched his hedges down with what they called laying, then proceded to keep them flailed down the the floor (the hedge is on top of a bank)

he had 2 farms and they wanted £49000 back on one farm and the figure was bigger for the second. The inspection team commented on the quality of the fencing  :D

So over all they will carry out inspections and take some stiff action if they have to

Archived