Post and Rail- Rail spacing

That sounds about right my last 4 rail fence, I had 8 inch spacers between each rail so if you add the rail is 4 inch, that works out right,

Does anyone else do what I do and run all the bottom rails first, then when happy with their positions you just the cut spacers and crack on.

When we do 5 rail Haydn, we use spaces of 6 inch, 6 inch, 4 inch and then 3 inch. This is the spacings between bottom of the rail to the top of the one below. But this is our spacings when using them in gate wings with stock net, probably be slightly different on post and rail. Best thing to do, is to semi nail your rails on and stand back, have a look and see what you think it looks like. If not happy change it. At the end of the day, it is not about having a set figure, but more what it looks like in the surroundings. In my opinion anyway.

I agree every post and rail will be different the key is to go with the ground d if it's running up hill or down hill.

Of course and bumps and hollows will be levelled out, some told me to also leave a 2-3 mm gap between each rail where they meet on th posts tags the timber will expand and shrink and if you have the rails meeting and not leaving a gap they will twist or bend instead of moving at the joint.

We do loads of post and rail, we have made up steel guide frames for all sorts of different rail spacing these sit on top of the post and hold the rails in the correct place making railing up a one man job, the main thing is to make sure that all the posts are to the correct height first, we lay the rails out on the ground to use as markers for the posts and put up a string line, then about 8 posts down the line set a maker to the correct height and use this as a sight line, while one chap knocks the post in the other sight lines and tells the operator how far to go, once we have done 8 posts we always rail up and then start again. this way a good sight man can grade the posts so they follow and dips or rises.

I've just stuck two videos on our facebook page if you want to take a look    

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J-Hubbard-Son-Ltd/201676763210091?pnref=lhc

We do loads of post and rail, we have made up steel guide frames for all sorts of different rail spacing these sit on top of the post and hold the rails in the correct place making railing up a one man job, the main thing is to make sure that all the posts are to the correct height first, we lay the rails out on the ground to use as markers for the posts and put up a string line, then about 8 posts down the line set a maker to the correct height and use this as a sight line, while one chap knocks the post in the other sight lines and tells the operator how far to go, once we have done 8 posts we always rail up and then start again. this way a good sight man can grade the posts so they follow and dips or rises.

I've just stuck two videos on our facebook page if you want to take a look    

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J-Hubbard-Son-Ltd/201676763210091?pnref=lhc

I think I might fabricate myself one of those! 

If your going to make one we found 20mm box is best you don't want it two wide or it changes the setting if the rails are going down hill as they sit on the higher side of the frame and if you make the rail support bits about 10/15mm wider than the rails it gives enough room the slide the rail in easily.  

Thanks for sharing that Charlie, interesting g yo see other people techniques. How do you get on with the Paslode and P&R? I had a real bad case of rails twisting once and the Paslode didnt help much. They were spruce rails like Balsa wood, rubbish. The clipped head and thin shank added to the problem and ended in a dogs dinner!

Paslode are so rapid tho, and easy to swing about all day compared to a hose and pneumatic.

No problem

We've had our issues with Paslode over the years but mostly sorted when we changed to the im90 guns you get a full round head on the nails and more power they also work to -8 so no problems when cold still get the odd nail not going all the way in but a quick chase up with a hamer sorts it

We always use ring shank nail smooth will pull out

I always just use hammer and 4" galv nails and mix 5" nails on the cundey rails, if rails are laid out and no cutting needed then I can average 100m 3 rail per hour anyway based on sawn fencing we always tend to do couple days of driving posts then rail up if job is big enough to allow.

With three rail we normally have the top rail 75mm down from the top of the post and about 275mm between the rails with post at 1.2m out the ground but depends what your keeping in ..4 rail even spacing for horses but bottom rails closer if sheep it's ip to you and your customer

Archived