Watercourse Fencing Grants

SimonE

we have been asked the question below by Severn Trent Water. We would welcome your input on what a farmer should expect to pay for the types of fencing detailed

Thanks

Paul

I am a catchment adviser with Severn Trent Water and my role involves working with farmers to reduce point source pollution. We are going to be launching a grant scheme which objectives are to assist farm businesses to tackle diffuse pollution with capital item investments. We will be offering 50% funding on fixed cost capital items and the scheme is voluntary.

One particular grant offered will be the exclusion of livestock from watercourses, i.e. Fencing. In order to offer a reasonable and fair grant we would appreciate it if it were possible for you to offer a general estimated prices per meter (incl Labour) for the following types of fencing

Post and wire fencing

Sheep Netting

Permanent Electric Fencing

there has been a lot of water course fencing around here under a scheme called source to sea, the Grant was for £5.00 per m and there were contractors around here doing it for 4.50/m crazy.

the spec was for a stock fence, pw, ht8/80/15 then 2x pw or barb on top

another scheme was specked as 8 x 3.25 ht plain wire with 2x barb on top, a termination strainer every 50 with a 1m railed section that wasnt to be nailed to one of the strainers

Come on guys this is your chance to influence a spec and price for that matter!

Think it would be wise to have a price that allows for more turning posts than standard spec and as soon as you start to cross streams the material price and hassle factor increases.

As Tepapa says you have an opportunity to put forward the real cost of this type of fencing. Charlie makes a good point that there are aspects of this type of fencing that make it very different from a standard stock fence and I will certainly put that argument forward to them.

It may be an idea to look at a range of per metre prices - bottom price for standard straight line good ground and top price for meandering/ turns every 5 metres.

Any help would be welcomed

Archived