Taking down old fences

Johno

We have done it, usually charge on an hourly rate if possible.

It is not to hard with a good set of staple pullers, I remove all staples first, then roll wire up tidy and the finally remove stakes. As long as the hedge hasn't grown through the fence by 20 metres, then it's a different story

yep for me for the worst job, stripping an old fence, I know a guy who used a cordless grinder to cut the staples, and save time,

The quickest way to do is to lift it with loader cut it into short lengths, then lay flat on ground and use loader to gather pile up then find a h dump and bury, but don't tell sepa

If your taking it down and separating it all and taking off site I charge around £1/metre. The worse ones are the ones that have been bodged many times over the years with posts everywhere and staples al driven home! if they don't like the price then rip it out with the loader and leave it for them. I use my strainright 5 in 1 tool on the staples and its brilliant.

65-80p more if neccesary to strip down, all depends how much fence is left and how hard. Don't like taking it out with loader as u end up with a big mess that's harder to deal with but it is a lot quicker and easier.

Study the fence carefully when pricing I got caught out this spring as the fence had been almost completely patched with new netting so there was two lots of net and staples to strip, but I know for next time

I don't mind it. It makes a change. Just need to think it through how to do it  Have the right tools.

I've always done it on hourly rate. But I like the £1 a metre rate idea. Its worthwhile.

Strip wires and net,  roll up, flatten with loader if you have one,  put staples in an old food can in belt, replace lid, hammer edges over then they won't get in the way again.

Pull posts out with loader.

If its entangled in a hedge, not fun.

We sporadically work for Network Rail replacing 7 stand plain wire on concrete posts with new 7 strand (or Rail spec netting if stock present) on Timber posts with postsavers on and I can honestly say it takes us almost as long to take down and remove off site the old wire and concrete posts as it does to put in the new fence. Use a rotating selector mini-grab on our 2 toner which works really well for rolling up old wire and pulling out posts.

Bad access and a reluctance of waste recyclers to take the concrete posts (due to awkward lengh for the crushers) can be the worst problems.

The worst fence take downs we do, charged £2/m on the last contract, because the sites can only be accessed by tracked dumpers our next bid will need to be higher.

we take a lot down, I just missed a 4600m deer fence take down for the commission, the winning bid was £1.11/m, it involves a lot of brashing then taking the wire down, rolling it up before finding a way to a track through heavy forestry plantation over uneaven and rocky ground, the timber was to leave on site

generally we cut the wires rather that pull stapples & if its grown in pull it out with Atv, barb and plain is rolled in the net then flat pack it by running over it with the tractor 

I quite enjoy taking down old fences ..call me crazy but there's nothing worse than a **** old fence and it always looks so much better once it's gone. We charge between £1 - £2 for taking down we also pull or cut staples and roll it all up and squash ready for the scrap yard, two lads and a mini digger to pull posts and tug any buried wire can take up a lot of fencing in a day, on a few jobs I recon we've made more taking it up than we have putting the new one in !

Archived