Taking down old fences

Johno

• 2 years later...

My fencing supplier gave me one of these easy staple pullers to try but it was the mark 1 model [he has modified  it since]

works okay on soft wood but try taking staples out of old larch stakes or oak posts it

would snap the wire sent back for a refund. 

rather stick to the 5 in 1 fencing tool much better  

Thanks for feedback Huw. I might try one next time I get a big dismantle. It's the leverage that wins it it for me. The staplemate is a fab tool as I've mentioned in other threads. However using it for long periods it could flare up my weak forearm muscles, from my nursery days using pruners and hand tying machines. It's not until the end of the job I realise I've done the damage. Then it's too late.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/6211920927.html

We tore this mess out this spring on a fence job. If she gets $200 out of that pile of trash, I've been screwing up.

Occasionally some daft empty headed artist or such may turn up for a deal like this. In my world its as likely as halleys comet com ng tonight.

"In good shape"????? Dont you have laws against fraud and inaccurate descriptions in the U S?

Occasionally some daft empty headed artist or such may turn up for a deal like this. In my world its as likely as halleys comet com ng tonight.

"In good shape"????? Dont you have laws against fraud and inaccurate descriptions in the U S?

We have a couple of neighbor ladies that take all the old rusty barbed wire we can get them..... Arts and crafts type stuff, but we don't charge anything for it.  A few years ago, I rolled up a big mess that resembled a giant egg in a nest.  It was in the junk pile, and one of the neighbors just had to have it.  She set it out by the mailbox at the end of their long driveway.  Scrap steel got up to about $220/ton a while back, and her barbed wire "art" disappeared.  Of course, she was heartbroken, so I made her another pile of art, AKA, trash.  This one has lasted for several years.

The beauty of America, plenty of room in the rurals.

I'm a bit "YOU WHAT!!" If I go in an art gallery, I'm usually discreet in keeping my thoughts to myself. I find it sheer disbelief that someone can appreciate such minimal effort, then not bat an eyelid at a good tree or a good fence etc.

In our local art gallery in the city of Hull, which has the privilege of being the uk city of culture (claptrap) this year. As you walk in the entrance the center piece is what looks like a heap of stones, but is actually foam and polystyrene the "artist" has taken many years to collect. (Dog years?) in the accompanying information it's called an installation (looks like someone backed through gallery doors and flytipped)

However my nephew of 6 soon became accomplished, next trip to the beach he "built an installation of stones for people to look at."

Plenty of room, indeed.  I've tried my best to show all of the visitors we've had from the UK as much class and culture as possible.  I think Paul Harris got to see the best yet when we stumbled on a shirtless garden rake fight in the mountains of East Tennessee.  It was art in motion.

Archived