job available

Robbell

Rob Bell Fencing Ltd are looking for a capable fencing person

Full employment with all the usual benefits

The work base is Kendal but we carry out contracts throughout South Cumbria & North Lancs

Contact Robert Bell 01539734810 or 07778334065

JOB AVAILABLE

Dose anyone want mine,

While smiling and being happy at all times ( otherwise you are a miserable sh*t ) You need to be able to sort the marketing and advertising, then answer the phone and be nice to the potential customers including time wastes, visit the site and carry out a survey, be a mind reader as to what is required plan and design the work, sharpen your pencil and be competitive, find a supplier for timber and wire then negotiate a price and delivery.

Now comes the hard bit, get you staff motivated and in work on time listen to what a wonderful weekend or holiday they have just had while you have been working 14 hours a day, then listen to all there ailments including the bad back and why they can't lift anything. How wet it is, how cold it is, can they have some money ( not borrow some money) because they left their lunch on the side at home and have run out of fags. not forgetting that they need to be home early as the wife is going out or wants to go shopping, you also need to remember that they have a dentists appointment in the middle of the day.

You then have to locate purchase and maintain the latest most efficient equipment transport it to site along with the materials and staff !!! to find that the customer has changed the spec and design.

At this point it's all out of your hands. You just hope and prey that the staff can remember where the fuel goes and what the grease gun, bubble in the spirit level, and string line are all for. Job completed then go through the same process again but not to often as the staff will get tired.

Back to the office produce an invoice and send it to the customer, then wait for the customer to phone and complain because you have charged for the additional work that they requested, stating ( I thought you would just do that as the lads were on site )

Eventually you might get paid but in the meantime you have paid the staff the suppliers, VAT and other taxes and all expenses hoping that there is something left for you. You will get all the **** jobs working the longest hours with little time off, remembering that holidays were something you had when you were at school, that is if you went !!.

The best thing about the job is that even though no one has ever given you anything, people say it's ok for you, you are the BOSS !!

Holy **** Steve, that's spot on! Only 2 lads for us but otherwise exactly the same. Funny how we're all running around trying to please everyone else and justify our prices to client and lifestyle to staff. Got to get a thicker skin for me and enjoy it for the benefits it brings and the time off when quiet (and not worrying that phone isn't ringing!).

JOB AVAILABLE

Dose anyone want mine, you need to be able to sort the marketing and advertising, then answer the phone and be nice to the potential customers including time wastes, visit the site and carry out a survey, be a mind reader as to what is required plan and design the work, sharpen your pencil and be competitive, find a supplier for timber and wire then negotiate a price and delivery.

Now comes the hard bit, get you staff motivated and in work on time listen to what a wonderful weekend or holiday they have just had while you have been working 14 hours a day, then listen to all there ailments including the bad back and why they can't lift anything. not forgetting that they need to be home early as the wife is going out or wants to go shopping, you also need to remember that they have a dentists appointment in the middle of the day.

You then have to locate purchase and maintain the latest most efficient equipment transport it to site along with the materials and staff !!! to find that the customer has changed the spec and design.

At this point it's all out of your hands. You just hope and prey that the staff can remember where the fuel goes and what the grease gun, bubble in the spirit level, and string line are all for. Job completed then go through the same process again but not to often as the staff will get tired.

Back to the office produce an invoice and send it to the customer, then wait for the customer to phone and complain because you have charged for the additional work that they requested, stating ( I thought you would just do that as the lads were on site )

Eventually you might get paid but in the meantime you have paid the staff the suppliers, VAT and other taxes and all expenses hoping that there is something left for you. You will get all the **** jobs working the longest hours with little time off, remembering that holidays were something you had when you were at school, that is if you went !!.

The best thing about the job is that even though no one has ever given you anything, people say it's ok for you, you are the BOSS !!

Steve,

You  forgot to mention the bloke that's worked for you for 7 years who on the fri of the bank holiday hands his notice in with one weeks notice to work for the fencing contractor down the road, seems they want to get their standard up to mine.

Well pi55ed off!

I struggle on solo, it takes forever. But thank you for the reminder why I don't employ anybody Steve.

I see enough of half hearted employeedom in my various fields of work.

This past week I was driving a concrete mixer and believe me in the 15 years I've done it, the average client has twice as many blokes and a 360, and what really bugs me is it takes twice as long to tip it.

For starters they park the 360 between the truck and site of tip, get you to make it absolutely self levelling sloppy. Then bucket by bucket an engine runs for no real need!

I don't know how people can attempt to be patriotic about "Great" Britain. The country's work ethic stinks.

Rob I hope you get a stonking employee that has a great brain, happiness and works like a team of shires.

I'd love to be appreciated and work hard and effectively for someone, I'm a reluctant boss and administrator. On site is my place. Whatever the weather, beats being in an office.

Hope you find someone Rob ..not a nice place to be when someone drops a bomb shell like that. Kind of in the same place.. work coming out of the ears but can't find the staff, we took the decision a few weeks back to stop taking any garden fences on anymore even though it's a big part of the business and just supply the stuff getting too old to be on the end of a breaker all day...!

On the subject of staff we were fencing last week at a farm that is one of the biggest producers of toffee apples in the UK the chap said 6 years ago the business was struggling with staff, all the usual problems that Steve mentions above, he then started using a Eastern European agency to supply the staff and has never looked back, All he says is they are hard working, conscientious, on time etc and if you do get a bad one you just send them back and get another...!

Sole trader has its pro and con, pros are everything is done as you want it not how you have had it done by someone who thinks it will do,

No health and safety regs, or employee liabilities, it's just the fact things take longer,

Charlie that's what annoys me, the guy learning the job then takes off with your contacts to a competitor or sets up on his own, with your supplier list and sweet talks his way to discount too.

I am thinking just recently that my body is going to give up on me one day and say enough is enough, what I do after that God alone knows.

Good staff, will be hard to get unless they can sit on the tractor all day, or the quad bike,

Well said Steve and I hope you get someone rob.

We are struggling with our work load and we are turning so much down, I was getting worried we will get to the stage peoplemaybe won't bother ringing as they know we are just to busy. We are going to have to take someone on, especially if our future expansion plans go ahead.

• 1 month later...

I had a guy working for me for just over a year, he decided to set up on his own. He lasted 9 months before he had the bailiffs round collecting for debts he had run up with suppliers. As you can imagine, I was quietly pleased!

Archived