Closeboard fence

DWJONES fencing

Been asked to quote for a featheredge fence, and hes asked me to spec it. Dont do much of this kind of fencing so looking for some help! Fence is six foot, thinking of 4x4 post 8ft long, with kick board at the bottom and 3 rails to support the featheredge strips. What size bays and what size rails/kick board would work best for this?

Do you mean bring the toe board away from the post abit so that the feather edge sit on top of it? I was thinking of using 5x2 as rails (x3) and a 6x1 as tge toe board?

Yes, you'd have to use a spacer the same size as your rail for you to put them on the toe board, or if you fix to the front of the toe board and use the top cap as a guide instead, then you can get away with 1 less bearer.

I see what you mean now! Looking at your pictures tgat fence has a rail along the top of the feather edge ( as its a taller fence?). For a six foot would you just finish the feather edge flush with the top rail and rest the capping on the featheredge and the rail?

Yes so the capping acts as the stop for the height.

we do quite a bit of this and have two specs - Essex and Suffolk!

Essex is 4x4 8ft post, 1650x125mm f/e, 150x25x3000mm g/b and 3 No. 3.0m cant rail, cant rail face fixed to the post, posts have a 150mm cleat (a cut section of cant rail) to fix gravelboard to at ground level - we also use top of this for line and level with stringline. We generally set top of cleat 1630mm down from top of post so post sits just below top of featheredge, first cant 150mm above gravelboard, top cant 150 down from top of post and middle cant in the errrr .... middle. Feather edge nailed with an overlap of at least 25mm and most important bit ALWAYS install a timber stump to the middle of the bay, generally this is a section of cant rail dug in approx 3/400mm directly behind the gravelboard to the underside of the bottom cant, this prevents the bay sagging and the f/e slipping off the gravel board over time.  - all finished in brown!

Suffolk is pretty much as above but uses 150x75mm posts with a top back-weather, is in 2.4m bays, has 150x1650 feather edge and is finished in green - personally i prefer this option. 

if you wanted to have a capping we turn the top cant rail upside down and fix to this, i prefer not to and have rail lower as it reduces chances of the featheredge splitting

Archived