Gate for deer fence

pencoed

I've got to install two field gates as part of the deer fence. One is 10ft x 6ft and the other 8ft x 6ft. Will I get away with single gates at these sizes (see attached) or do I need a gate in two halves? They will be made out of douglas fir.

Also what's the best way to hold the posts/gates in position. Concrete?

post-2133-0-31241600-1480795584_thumb.jpg

Down here (in NZ) I'd always do them as singles (although we usually use mesh gates for deer) and I'd hang them off my box stayed strainer, which will be a 3.66 metre post.  

Personally I have no faith in concrete round wooden posts, it invariably causes rot and a properly driven post is just as tight anyway - if you're digging/augering and hand ramming them then "all bets are off".

Down here (in NZ) I'd always do them as singles (although we usually use mesh gates for deer) and I'd hang them off my box stayed strainer, which will be a 3.66 metre post.  

Personally I have no faith in concrete round wooden posts, it invariably causes rot and a properly driven post is just as tight anyway - if you're digging/augering and hand ramming them then "all bets are off".

It's bearing the weight of the wooden post I'm concerned about. Would be much easier to install a single gate if the post will take weight. We are using 10' x 5/6" round chestnut strainers, though I will most likely now use an 8" or 10" gate post connected by a box braced strut to the strainer.

Another anti concrete with wood here. Plus a pig to redo when premature failure does happen.

Is it a long term fence.? I'd be tempted to use a superior post or creosote it, I'd rather spend on a good post than a fancy gate here. Easy enough to swing a new gate.

Another anti concrete with wood here. Plus a pig to redo when premature failure does happen.

Is it a long term fence.? I'd be tempted to use a superior post or creosote it, I'd rather spend on a good post than a fancy gate here. Easy enough to swing a new gate.

Makes sense Goaty - cheers

Archived