Solo trak or Bryce

Archie

When I visited the Bryce stand at Lamma 2016. Jocks lad told me it was a 5 ton ram on the rock spike. As you say Mike not a lot said about pulling out, some jobs are to pull out before you start a new fence. Ok if you have a tractor and loader, but a hard task if you've only got an all in one self propelled unit and no extraction means.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in same boat, solo or Bryce..... I looked at both at lamma, the Bryce definitely had the better build look to it, since lamma I've been in touch with Bryce to ask them if they can tailor the machine a little more to me..... front blade and a larger post carrying cradle on the front and the answer was no as every 180 pro is to be built the same..... which has put me off tbh, I had a close look at Protech at lamma and he is happy to build any machine around the operator just how you want it, in my opinion this is a very big plus....... Protech could be the way forward so long as build quality is good....

Steve

Thanks for that offer. As goaty said earlier I'd best go and have a look. Problem is im working daylight till dark seven days a week at moment and short of daylight. And I'll have to order one soon as there's a waiting list for them all.

Henry

I was on verge or buying a protech a few weeks ago. That evo 2 180 swing arm looks the biz. But iv been kinda put of. Don't want to upset any protech owners but had a look at them and had a guy with me who's pretty clued up on all kinda plant machines. He told me there undercarriage was way to light for hill work. Fine for fields but he claimed a lot of rough terrain and they won't last. He also pointed out the engine hangs over front of tracks with post carrier in front of that. Says the machine would be a sesaw and dangerous and lack durability unless terrain is easy going. Was a bit gutted as I really liked the idea of swing arm. Showed him photos and vids of Bryce and solo. He said right away solotrak was best balanced for hill work due to no overhang. Only his opinion obviously but he's got 50 years experience of hill driving with forestry and construction so afraid for me I had to drop protech.

Bryce was the winner for me, in my opinion it had best build quality, simple mast and been around many years so very well proven, but wanted / needed a larger post rack and front blade, the larger post rack is needed as there is no mid point to put posts...... but the answe was no, everybody wants their machine to how they want it , not as it comes off the shelf, I'm strongly considering keeping what I have to!! Yes the solo has wire rope

Wire rope been good. Its more instant as it doesnt have a slack to take up like a rope. Had no trouble with it. I changed it after 18 months after a couple of wires had frayed as i like things to be right and safe. But i had changed the bryce rope in the same amount of time.

The wire doesnt get destroyed the same when workking in and around hedges and trees

Yeah i think all things considered solotrak is best track base and ability to climb every mountain. Bryce probably has the best post driver attached to a tracked machine. Vector much the same as Bryce and protech good ideas and build quality of actual post driver good but track base a tad light and of balance for steep ground. For my own circumstances and terrain I started of Bryce but that front blade is bugging me. And the fact that they had to remove it for ground clearance reasons means I can't even fit one myself as I need clearance. It's going more towards solotrak for that reason alone. Pity Bryce and solo wouldn't merge

Interesting topic this one, I looked at Bryce, Solo and Protech when we changed 2 yrs ago. I have to say I got the same reply from Bryce as you did HenryG as I wanted a couple of changes/additions to tweak the machine to suit us as we have found over the last few years with our old Rg30 protechs. We went with protech evo2 in the end as they could give us the options we wanted (including remote control for unloading and site moving as some clients required it, although the roll cage on the solo would have satisfied that, and 400kg hammer and large carry frame on center and expandable on front) which unfortunately the solo didnt do (although i didnt actuially ask Simon if they could, based on others reivews). 

Honestly I was torn between the solo and evo2 but the custom build of the protech did it for me, plus they have been good backup to us with the rg30's over the last few years, although having met Simon I am sure the solo's would be too.

Yeah its pretty good, can be a bit light on the front if mast is out the back and the slew is right out but I have a detachable front rack or you can have a hydraulic extendable one. so can load that up or I add some tractor wafer weights as and when required which isn't very often. The morooka is 50hp and has loads of power. Far better than the old rg30. Can knock a 12'post up to 12" and knocks pretty low to the ground too

PDR

Yeah I know what it's like to be torn between them. Almost over thinking it to much but its such an investment you want to get it right. I think I'll stick to the two iv narrowed it down to but out of curiosity how do you find strength of evo 2 track base

PDR

Yeah I know what it's like to be torn between them. Almost over thinking it to much but its such an investment you want to get it right. I think I'll stick to the two iv narrowed it down to but out of curiosity how do you find strength of evo 2 track base

The track running gear is poclain who were one of the first companies making excavators and are leaders in hyd pump & transmissions which are used is many full size and mini excavators so I shouldn't think there will be any trouble with the track base. Protech make the chassis to suit you, either fixed width or spreading track (as we went with) and is chunky box that has coped with me loading it pretty well!

The only thing I didn't like and they have changed a few months after I got mine was the bottom rollers on mine were the plastic type whereas now they use a solid metal type with sealed bearings. They started with the plastic ones as they were lighter for the evo1's to keep the weight down but with evo2 the weight isnt an issue.

Also with evo2 the track motors are larger and stronger, again as weight isnt an issue. So I would say with the evo2 you wouldnt see any undercarriage issues for strength, but the solotrack based on the marooka is my favorite dumper base as i found them to be very good dumpers when we have hired them. Infact I initially spoke to protech about a p300 on a new marooka but went with evo2 in the end as they could build it to suit our needs, better balanced with extending track and heavier monkey weight (400kg at the mo).

Some days I think a solotrack would suit the job better, but most days I know the evo2 set up as we have it is the best option for us,

The only thing I wish protech could have done was fit a belt driven compressor for the nail / staple guns as the solotrack can.

The spreading track is a very appealing feature. Soon as I saw it I thought if you could get a Bryce with that it would be a cracker. The narrow width of Bryce does leave me wary. If he could somehow get that feature on his machine he'd be onto a winner

Archived