Traffic management

HenryG

After some advice - have a site meeting next week for a pretty large job, the fence line runs parallel to an A road but is on average 10m back from the carriageway, other than warning signs in place is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration? There would be quite a bit of activity with diggers and tractors clearing then digger and post knocker erecting fence behind......

I would look into it for piece of mind as if you were to cause an accident or have one of your staff injured it would be bad. I have used traffic management in the past, two men, van, stop go boards etc and all necessary equipment £350/day. Needs to be priced into the job though

My sister in law works in utilities etc

2 years ago. She asked me a ballpark figure for post and rail adjacent to the highway to put a tender in for a job. Then went on to say. It would require traffic management (they put this in the quote)to fence if the equipment was on the road side of the fence.

I preferred the old days when you used to evaluate it and work it out for yourself.

I'd put your price a bit higher. You might end up waiting for T.M To arrive late. Leave early and waiting around for employed stand around tea break contruction/civil engineering companies to get out your way first.

I went to a roundabout twice on a job it was T.M both times I arrived, the lot ground to a halt whilst I managed the traffic and manuvred. He just leant on his pick up.

Double farm rates I reckon. Sister in law was surprised when I said £17.50 a meter. It's cheap to them

We ran into one of those jobs last summer.  The total price of the job was only about $5,000......We don't carry workmans compensation insurance, since an exemption is available for ag fence construction.  Anyhow, this was a big city subdivision post and rail to keep urbanites from driving off into the retention pond kind of fence.  The developer paid for traffic control, AND a years worth of workmans comp insurance that cost more than the fence.  I guess I need to raise my city fence prices. :) 

Archived