Short run corner and brace posts

LNIII

I'm going to install fencing for 48'x24' dwarf goat pens. Considering that these are pretty short runs of fence do the corner braces need to be the as heavy and stout as if I was going to run 300' of fence? I planned on using 6x6 posts for the corners and 4x4 for the line posts. I know that goats like to rub against the fence and climb it so I'll run a hot wire at the top and bottom. The cost isn't really my concern I just feel like an 8' corner brace would be overkill for a 24' or even a 48' fence line. Thanks for any replies that I get.

Welcome to the forum LNIII.  To get the most out of your fence, you will need just as much brace for a short run as you would a long run.  We use 1348-12 Titan for this application, and when properly stretched, the fixed knot construction makes the fence the most durable option for containing goats.  Also, Tornado Wire really shines in small stretches where an even pull is difficult, or even impossible to achieve with lesser quality wire.  Gripples are worth looking at for a project like this, as well.  

Ground conditions depending id perhaps just use better grade longer posts and knock them in more. Skip the braces.

Im fed up of braces rotting out and am trying to do box strainers more.

I kept goats once and in a small area they will climb braces and the persistant ones may incorporate them in an escape route. One of mine jumped a 5ft fence from standing 2 ft away.

Especially if they are pygmys with horns use smaller mesh than the standard stock net.

I strip grazed mine on 2 acres with 3 strands of electric. Mostly with success. Goats are goats.

You are correct. I am from North Carolina, USA. I found this forum by using Google looking for a fence building forum. Once I previewed a lot of the results I came to the conclusion that this would be one of the best forums to try.

As already said above a short run is just as difficult if not more so to keep tight as a long run and just as easy to pull the strainers over if not braced correctly. I wouldn't skimp as you will only be annoyed when they move!

Archived