Break down of metre rates

Ringfencing

Has any body got a proper breakdown of fence erection rates I I've been fencing for years but just slowly increase rates per year and end up middle of the road price wise I just thought the more efficient guys may have a per m rate for posting up , strutting box and angle ( per strut) ,net erection, barb per line etc I just don't have a break down . Plus tie downs foots etc because every strut etc costs time and money and do you work each job out using said rates.

I'd like to see this in print as well. Reality of the job means every job is different which reflects in the price.

A breakdown however would be an excellent tool to pricing. What I'm finding I spend on tools to speed up but don't feel the benefit myself. The meterage rates between contractors vary massively and that's where the cash flow is.

I can be a bit obsessive with quality which is a hindrance.

Yep prices do vary a lot from contractor to contractor and the cost of machinery is never really taken into account. I think it would be good to put down some prices per item e.g. Posting up per m or per post as styles vary a bit but I recon about a £1 per m for putting in timber ,that could also be flexible depending on distance ,then how much for a strut ? £20 for a box £10 for an angle . All rates are labour only.

I work on £1pm for inter every 3m. This allows for a strained every 50m, any extra strainers over this allowance cost £10 extra.

Then £1 per meter for the wire. This includes all struts etc.

I've tried breaking it down before but it becomes too complicated.

Above system is simple but doesn't let me down.

I work out all jobs depending on spec, length and ground etc. I couldn't work out how fencers where doing different jobs and quoting the same price/m.

I charge a fixed rate per pull and then a variable rate per m depending on spec +/- extra strainers. It can be hard to explain to farmers who just want a fixed price to compare, but tough, as im not doing 30m fences for the same price as 300m.

Ive worked out how much i want for each process depending on difficulty or time. Some of these extras are done too cheaply, e.g. i don't charge enough for strutting corners or breast blocks and tie downs/foots are done for free because if I charged my full price, the labour cost is too high and i wouldn't get enough work around me to keep working 12 months of the year.

It took me about two weeks and its still being improved but i wrote an excell spread sheet to cost out jobs and allow me to quote for varying types of work. It works well and i can cost jobs almost to the penny. The downsides are it works out the labour cost you want to charge but this can be astronomical when you've included all the turns/struts, short runs ect, so you need to reduce it to stay competitive, and you need to see most jobs to work out how many strainers/turns you need to quote accurately.

As an example about costing per job i can reduce posting costs by 20p/m by extending spacing from 3-4m. Also adding a second barb or plain increases cost by 10p/m.

I use a spreadsheet approach as well, mine is based around how many of each element I can do per hour to give me the hours total.  I differentiate the hours for  me, the tractor, and the digger etc.   e.g. tractor and driver is $95 (NZD) per hour and the number of posts I can drive per hour varies from 20 to 60,  I can hang 3-4 gates per hour.  I vary the number per hour of each element based on the difficulty of the terrain/access, complexity etc.  I mostly have access to good online GIS aerial photos for most area's I'm in (more detailed/higher definition than google earth) and use that quite a bit for estimating.

I think it is difficult. For example my technique of fitting stays is physically demanding. And I should charge a helluva lit more for it. But the customer would just say put the stay against post and wire it. But I accept that I've got take a hit on that to get work.

Ground conditions. The amount if materials as I take it we include setting out materials in the meterage rate.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rate, some jobs I price by hour. Some total price.

It's a good bit of info to have for working out a price for a job as a whole, I think it's probably too complicated to try and put in a quote though.

I'm forever timing myself with different stages of the fence build, in different environments and usually I'm pretty much spot on with my quotes as a result. The other day I did a little job, Replace By hand a hanging and shutting post inc digging out rotten posts, reinstate strainer assemblies x2 and splice on a new bits of netting both sides of the gate, restrain and rehang gate. You'd never think it would take 6 hours but it did and I'm sure I would have underpriced it if I hadn't consulted prior experience of timing each individual aspect.

Generally I forget about meterage rates when pricing and just work out the job depending on the individual circumstances and how many of any given thing there is- strainers/pulls/turns, awkward access.

Easier to do for one of jobs and the like for smallholders and people with 'some land', then it is for bigger time agricultural fencing which doesn't see past a meter rate.

Tornado's Quote Builder is designed to do exactly this job!

Designed for professional fencers to take the hassle out of fencing admin - create and save professional quotations or estimates in minutes once you've set your account up.

It will also help you understand the breakdown of price per metre for intalling Tornado wire fencing.

As part of the (very quick and easy) process of creating a professional quote or estimate for your customers, you can instantly calculate and adjust all your cost and pricing permutations for any job. You can adjust the price per metre, prices for individual items, the overall price, or the profit you want to make for the job.

Then just hit re-calculate, and voila...see exactly how much you will make without any guesswork or complicated equations. We've done all the hard work for you :)

The screen-grab belows shows the final part of the calculations step of creating a quote with the Tornado Quote Builder...

QB%20calculation%20page_zpspfdcyaew.png

Your local Tornado rep can help you set up an account if you'd like a hand, or we can go through it with you online.

To get started, visit http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/fencing-contractors/ and click on 'Create an account'

Minutes? Have you actually tried to put a proper quote together on the quote builder nick?

Sounds like a challenge John!.... we do admittedly have the benefit of having done literally hundreds of these in testing. Once the system is set up (and that is the key fellas) you can do a standard quote in less than 3 minutes from identifying the area to be fenced on the map to printing off a quotation, marked up loaction map, method statement and cost analysis sheet. There is a "saved specification" button that loads your favourite specs and a "regular Price button" that loads your normal expected profit...  this means it is possible to go from start to finish in only 4 clicks

Me or Nick are perfectly happy to show (and be timed :D ) anyone who wants to have a go... If you want to understand where the costs are in your final per metre cost, this is really easy to do (honest!)... and edit ... and then save! You even get a nice pdf print out for each job that splits the detail down for you. I did this one in 2 minutes and 37 secs https://www.dropbox.com/s/khouw21glsgs5fg/Test%2018th%20April%202_Quote_Map_BillofMaterial.pdf?dl=0

To get it to work for you you need to either enter the basic cost information in the backend yourself (labour cost per hour... cost of materials etc) -  and set up your favourite specs - or you can ask us to do it for you! We honestly would be delighted to help!!!

I still say it needs a customer ranking program built in to automatically figure in the PITA fee.

Just change the margin required from 30 to 50% or add a PITA line in to your extras ... just remember not to tick to make it visible to the customer!!

Hi all,

There is now a new thread here about arranging a meeting day for a few volunteers, to help us really get to grips with understanding / issues / use of the Quote Builder. We'd love to get as many people as possible using and really benefitting from it, and the best starting point will be for us to understand how it's currently being used and where the issues are appearing for you.

Let us know if you're interested :)

Thanks

I tried it on my old phone, gave up on it and never tried it since

I'm sure there are those that find it very useful I still use the pencil.I find it useful as you can press heavier for certain jobs. Depending on how bad the job is or how objectionable the customer is.

• 9 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 18:22, West Fork Fence said:

You fellas should start charging by the foot.  It pays 3.37 times beter.

How much are you quoting for labor oln a day a field fence? And is just straight by foot or do you do ft and a set price per strainer? I have been doing like a 1.75, thinking about going to 2, and then 100 bucks a strainer.

10 hours ago, Thegoatman22 said:

How much are you quoting for labor oln a day a field fence? And is just straight by foot or do you do ft and a set price per strainer? I have been doing like a 1.75, thinking about going to 2, and then 100 bucks a strainer.

Our prices are very similar to Fence's prices.  We don't quote any labor only jobs, nor any by the day.  In my opinion, there is no reward for skill and speed if you are working by the hour.  Your labor prices seem to be in line , but spec of wire, post size and spacing, size of contract, etc will all play a part in the end.  For example, 842-12 with a hot wire on top and 20' post spacing takes considerably less labor than 1348-6 with a barb over and a barb under and 12' post spacing.

I have spent the past week discussing the best ways to monetize efficiency with our expert marketing mentor.  Some of the key's to the formula are buying in bulk, having modern efficent equipment, and using technology to your advantage.  Buying in bulk gives an immediate advantage of a 25% increase in profit, and efficient equipment in tandem with efficient and high quality materials  will double or triple production while decreasing the variable overhead of inconsistent labor.  In short, I can build more fence alone today than I could 10 years ago with a crew of 5.   So long as the standard of quality is maintained, the net profit deserves more scrutiny than the rate per foot.  

8 hours ago, Thegoatman22 said:

That makes sense, I am pretty new to this so can't really buy in bulk yet, I lack the capitol. But am working towards that, and a tractor with a pounder instead of my 2 stroke auger.

Everywhere I've been in the US, there is more fence work than fence builders.  Keep at it, and you'll be there in no time. 

Archived