Single handed post driving with Digger

tentman

Hello Guys

I've got my vibrating "plate compactor" driver going quite well on my 2.5 tonne machine.  

One problem I've been racking my brains on is how to get the post vertical in two planes - its easy to do and see one way from the seat but the other way is hard to judge, I'm getting better but  . . . two guide wire work sorta OK but in tough going it still hard to get it right.

An idea that I've come up with but have yet to try (short on funds this month for toys) is a remote camera like they use for reversing or blind spots on vehicles.  I'd put the camera on the guide wire ahead of the post I'm going to drive, have the monitor in the cab and operate at 90 degrees to the line.  The camera is like a "second man" and looks back down the line.  It could also be used on the tractor where you need to back in to every post (I get quite a bit of that driving house piles).

Thoughts??

Hi Foster.

Think simple! I just use a plumb line hanging off the post. Basically a 3-4ft length of electric fence wire with a weight hanging at the bottom. I have a slip loop so I just hang and choke round the top of each post and the weight hangs giving the vertical in both planes. the weight does swing a bit with each hit but somehow it's still easy to see if the post is going in true with a bit of practise.

My fences have never been straighter and I often check a post with the spirit level and it's usually pretty much spot on.

It sounds like a faff to setup but it isn't and in fact is probably quicker than using a spirit level and waiting for the bible to right itself and you can see both planes at once. I just stab a post in attach the plumb line get in and knock it in, get out move like line to the next post at the same time look back down your fence line if the post you have just done needs tweaking the machine is still next to it to do so before moving onto the next post.

Takes about an hour to do 100 meters of posts roughly on my own in this manner

The problem I have yet to overcome is getting strainer post to stand up on their own until I get back to the can and drop the knocker over them.? Thinking of a tripod stand- basically a large ring with 3 legs so that you just put the post through the ring and it will stand up.

Of course no problem using tractor but I'm getting seriously bad knees and climbing up in to the tractor 300 times a day plus the clutch work is starting to take it's toll.

I fully agree with the bad knee comment. Back to the digger cenario I did see a home made effort using the gear box out of an angle grinder which had a maker on it giving you a virtical on the side you can't see it was an artical in practical farm ideas can't give you much more info sorry.

Without having used one I could suggest bottom line on the pinch holes for the posts so at least the can can sit near upright to start and as then as suggested string on your top line if you pinch holes first there is far greater chance of starting them straight I would think

Yes as above. Sometimes I use temporary electric fence stakes to hold the line at the right height over undulations. You can strain out one line at ground level stab all you stakes in pinching holes if necessary then being same line upto 3ft height. Once you get all that setup it's super fast getting the stakes in as you can see all the time your knocking whether you are against the line making small adjustments whilst knocking.

Archived