just arms versus machinery, is there a place for both

Isle of Lewis

Hi there, Im a busy contractor on the Isle of Lewis. I'm just a shovel tongs, punch bar and quad bike kind of guy meaning I don't use any tractor attachments.  The terrain here is either peatbog or no depth so it's mostly levering large stones out of clay with a punch bar and cleaning out with the shovel tongs to fit strainers. Terrain and stones don't always allow for post thumpers knockers etc...

Long story short.  If I had to re locate to an area like Warwickshire would there be a demand for agricultural fencing all done by hand.  I'm between £3 or £4 a meter at the mo and a strainer is £40.00 tightly packed with new posts, estimated hourly rate to strip old fence, or has all that been taken over by machinery now?

looking forward to hearing from you as haven't been on this great forum in a while

I think there will always be jobs to be done by hand- most likely on a more domestic basis. Stuff like dog/garden/poultry fencing, where access or perhaps being too small a job to entice a contractor to bring all the machinery along for.

Personally I wouldn't want to do it this way- mainly to preserve my body more than anything but also I'm not that fond of the fiddly little jobs.

That said, Warwickshire is going to be far better ground- not much of a livestock area compared to other parts of the country.

Hmmm boy do I have an offer for you - alas looks like you're too busy to come down to Stewart Is (at the very southern tip of NZ) and help me with a job next month.  Not possible to use any machinery as its in the bush so everything broken down into man carry loads (a full coil of deer netting is 125 KG's so I'll be splitting them into thirds) and landed on the beach by barge.  Lucky the whole job is only 250 metres - a deer exclusion fence across a peninsula.

Hmmm boy do I have an offer for you - alas looks like you're too busy to come down to Stewart Is (at the very southern tip of NZ) and help me with a job next month.  Not possible to use any machinery as its in the bush so everything broken down into man carry loads (a full coil of deer netting is 125 KG's so I'll be splitting them into thirds) and landed on the beach by barge.  Lucky the whole job is only 250 metres - a deer exclusion fence across a peninsula.

Sounds like my kind of job.  If the plane tickets weren't so high, I'd come lend a hand.  Make sure to get some good pictures of this project!

Archived