gripples

Isle of Lewis

• 4 weeks later...

Never been a massive fan, but currently they are on offer at £220ish for 500. Makes the difference between them and Crimps only £2.40 a standard join.

Any horror stories or should I bite the bullet and start using them?

No horror stories, and we've been using them for years.  Bite the bullet.

A while back I had a few burst and the guts of them ping out, more on the large gripple, but that hasn't happened in a while. Being gentle getting them on also helps. 

Yeah the tails are a bit of a problem as they are a bit inconvenient and sharp, customer could see them as an issue. There were plastic retainers for the tails but they don't always come with the gripples and they are a faff to put on. 

Really happy with Spaldings deal and delivery

We use more t-clips than gripples, only really use gripples on short runs where we cant afford to lose tension as you would with a crimp and on box strainers but we wrap after them.

have been getting more and more dodgy ones of late that don't seem to hold tension and have had the bodys on a few crack a few weeks after installation - i'll always use a crimp given the choice - looks neater too.

• 3 months later...

Gripples.

And along with hi tensile wire they are new technology here in Texas. Guys take a lot of pride in what they can do with their pliers. But with high tensile wire our knots are useless. The gripple gas changed everything for us. With just fair labor costing 20.00 a hour once you pay for their entitlements. The gripple is cheaper than knots. Plus it allows everyone from a pro to a grunt to make a consistent splice. I'm as hard-headed as they come, but I had to eat my hat on the gripples.

I wouldn't touch gripples, I know their easy and quick the day you use them but they fail far too easy and that's if they haven't pushed their guts out when you put them on. 

Much rather use the strainrite crimps to join, 100% strength of the wire.

What failures have you seen with the gripples. I torture tested them before I started using them. Admittedly when pulled to full tension good luck getting them to release, but the crimps won't release either. Pretty much a mute function except in temporary fence.

You do have to take a little care not to gut them. But I haven't found that to be a big deal.

I watched the YouTube on the strain rite crimps. The guy made 6 crimps. On 13 line wire net that's 78 stroke's of the tool. Might as well tie a knot as far as time goes. With all due respect...... Makes me think your not giving the gripple a fair shake. Just cheering for the home team..

We use crimp sleeves, either Hayes or Kiwi. Strainrite not really available here. IMO, they are the neatest and most professional looking. Woven wire joined with gripples is very noticeable and a bit unsightly. Crimps are much less noticeable and have a cleaner look. Rarely does one slip or fail, and when they do it, it is usually a 10 gauge top or bottom wire and is do to user error with the crimp. Like said, its all my opinion. I have never actually used a gripple, but have looked up close at fences around here that used them. 

6 minutes ago, oregonfarmfencer said:

We use crimp sleeves, either Hayes or Kiwi. Strainrite not really available here. IMO, they are the neatest and most professional looking. Woven wire joined with gripples is very noticeable and a bit unsightly. Crimps are much less noticeable and have a cleaner look. Rarely does one slip or fail, and when they do it, it is usually a 10 gauge top or bottom wire and is do to user error with the crimp. Like said, its all my opinion. I have never actually used a gripple, but have looked up close at fences around here that used them. 

We stock Strainrite crimp sleeves. 

1 hour ago, Thegoatman22 said:

I inquired with strainers about a tamper and post hole shovel and they said no sellers in the us, and shipping would be more then the two products, its a shame we need better fencing products in america

Let me know what you want, and if we don't have it in stock, I'll see about getting it on our next order. 

21 hours ago, Fence said:

What failures have you seen with the gripples. I torture tested them before I started using them. Admittedly when pulled to full tension good luck getting them to release, but the crimps won't release either. Pretty much a mute function except in temporary fence.

You do have to take a little care not to gut them. But I haven't found that to be a big deal.

I watched the YouTube on the strain rite crimps. The guy made 6 crimps. On 13 line wire net that's 78 stroke's of the tool. Might as well tie a knot as far as time goes. With all due respect...... Makes me think your not giving the gripple a fair shake. Just cheering for the home team..

Seen plenty of grippled fences unzipped, they don't take well to collision. At least you can guarantee crimps will hold.

Archived