gripples

Isle of Lewis

• 2 months later...
On 21/04/2018 at 06:12, Thegoatman22 said:

I just started using gripples for my h posts, I have used them 2 days and had 2 different failures. Not sure if it me or the gripples. The first on it just slipped out, might not have set or something. The second one today, the wire broke where the gripple punches the wire

Now you see why we think their useless. Tie a knot or crimp is the only way.

14 hours ago, West Fork Fence said:

Gripples work fine around here, and my fence is just as tight or tighter than anyone's.   Show us some pictures of failures so we all  have something to base our prejudice on. 

I didn't take pictures, just wondering if I had done something wrong. The second one that broke I had twisted the ends around as a fail safe, but it that didn't matter. And it failed while packing up the truck after finishing the fence, on like a 200 ft barb fence

You say your using them on your H brace. I guess for your brace wire. I suspect your over tensioning them. 

I mean you can overpull anything. On a little stretch like a brace wire you can certainly over pull a gripple. 

If I used a wire brace I would certainly carry prestretched wire with me. Wire that has been pulled until it breaks and then rolled back up and saved for short pulls. To anyone skeptical of how well it works. You haven't tried it.  

Like Fence said, you've likely over-tensioned your brace wire.  I have had a couple fail in similar situations, but once I got the feel for where they needed to be, it hasn't been an issue.  Keep in mind that the fence wire will put more load on the brace wire, once you tension it.  180KSI wire works better than 200 and higher, IMHO, and you won't need to pre-stretch it.  One loop of 5/32" aircraft cable and a large Gripple works even better yet.

FWIW, I still like tying knots, but at 40 years old....... There are plenty of ways to do this job without accelerating the crippling of your body.   Once your eyes hit the fourth decade, crimp sleeves are only good for boosting blood pressure and the cash in the curse word bucket.  

Archived