Best method of replacing gateposts that have been concreted in?

Today's job I though would take 2 hours, Wrong, I finished it at half 6 in the evening!

It was to replace 2x gateposts that had rotted off but the stump remained in a ball of concrete 3ft deep that had been tarmaced over. I couldn't dig up the concrete and no scope to reposition the gate. So I ended up using a 6" auger on my digger to gnaw away at the old post stumps leaving the concrete socket which I drove new posts into. It worked but boy it took a long time, more aggressive auger teeth may have helped but wondered how you all deal with this problem- any way of burning out the old posts stumps?

Gidday Matt - I saw your query somewhere else and have been scratching my head, I'm bound to strike the same thing one day, and the fact that you can't rip it up through the asphalt without a lot of added cost is the issue . . . 

Having though about it some more i think I'd tackle it like a big boring job like we used to have to do for boat propellor shafts.  I'd get a pilot hole down the middle with my 20mm auger on the drill (using an electricians extension if required), then I'd weld up a "boring bar" of just the right size and run it on my big post hole auger, basically what you ended up doing, just with a auger flight a bit more suited to the job - here's how we've done it on boats http://www.gartsideboats.com/faq/boring-long-holes.html - this isn't me obviously but its exactly the same, we welded our boring bar up.

Cheers

Foster

Well, I had a gate post concreted in under a cattlegrid, complete with broken stump, no digger, only hand tools. I had to excavate around concrete, broke what I could, drilled and secured 20mm rod for anchor, tied it to my ford ranger and pulled the lot out (no damage to cattlegrid). Also thought "2 hour job.." took 6 hours, working in the dark. Reset new hate post and rehung gate. Boss at FC told me after it was him who had put it in 10 years previously and was suitably impressed we had managed to get it out because he knew how much rock and concrete he'd initially thrown in, not a job I'd like to do everyday, the best tool that can be implemented in this situation is patience! Good luck.

Ruaraidh Mac

Well, I had a gate post concreted in under a cattlegrid, complete with broken stump, no digger, only hand tools. I had to excavate around concrete, broke what I could, drilled and secured 20mm rod for anchor, tied it to my ford ranger and pulled the lot out (no damage to cattlegrid). Also thought "2 hour job.." took 6 hours, working in the dark. Reset new hate post and rehung gate. Boss at FC told me after it was him who had put it in 10 years previously and was suitably impressed we had managed to get it out because he knew how much rock and concrete he'd initially thrown in, not a job I'd like to do everyday, the best tool that can be implemented in this situation is patience! Good luck.

Ruaraidh Mac

• 4 months later...

Archived