Wood is outdated

Fence

Imo.

Wood has no business in fence building.  Steel is cheaper and stronger as well as being resistant to insects, fire and rot in most environments. It's also much easier to drive in the ground. And easier to build a got brace.   Catch a wood post with a tractor you have a broken unrepairable post. Catch a pipe post you just turn around and bend it back up straight.

Never seen a single pipe fence in this valley. Have seen a few braces built out of square tube but man were they ugly.

So does the pipe you guys use come from the oilfields? That would explain why I've never seen any here, we are quite aways away from that area. 

If anyone is in need of a never rotting fence, it is us. Our wet climate is not kind to wood posts. I've seen Doug Fir ACQ's rotten after less than two years in the ground. We did one job 3 or 4 years ago, customer insisted on using Doug Fir ACQ posts because someone told him they were the best. My dad warned him that in his experience they were known to prematurely rot. Customer didn't listen and insisted on using the Doug Firs. This past summer we came out and replaced a bunch of posts with CCA lodgepole pines. I would say about half of the Doug Firs were rotten completely or close to rotting off. 

The posts we normally use are CCA lodgepole pine. Not all lodgepole pine posts are equal though. Some suppliers(like the ones stocked in local farm stores) do not have a good treat process. All of our posts come from a company in Canada that warranties them for 25 years. The posts are kiln dried prior to being treated. Other suppliers don't do this and the difference really shows in how well the treat takes.   

I will have to brush up on my welding skills if pipe ever catches on here. Seems like welding up a pipe brace would be more time consuming than building a wood brace? Also, a stupid question, but how do you attach wire to pipe posts? 

We use oilfield pipe some but ninety percent is new pipe. 23/8 to 3" diameter with a 3/16 to quarter inch wall thickness. We use a H with a diagonal brace to a dead man.  I really wish it was easier to post pic here.......

Maybe this will work......nope

We tie off terminals very similar to the way you would wood. We use steel tpost every 12 foot clipped with tpost clips . A pipe stiffener is used every hundred feet. 

In gonna keep working on this pic deal. May have to resort to the dreaded photobucket

[URL=http://s723.photobucket.com/user

• 4 months later...
On 19/12/2017 at 18:47, oregonfarmfencer said:

Never seen a single pipe fence in this valley. Have seen a few braces built out of square tube but man were they ugly.

So does the pipe you guys use come from the oilfields? That would explain why I've never seen any here, we are quite aways away from that area. 

If anyone is in need of a never rotting fence, it is us. Our wet climate is not kind to wood posts. I've seen Doug Fir ACQ's rotten after less than two years in the ground. We did one job 3 or 4 years ago, customer insisted on using Doug Fir ACQ posts because someone told him they were the best. My dad warned him that in his experience they were known to prematurely rot. Customer didn't listen and insisted on using the Doug Firs. This past summer we came out and replaced a bunch of posts with CCA lodgepole pines. I would say about half of the Doug Firs were rotten completely or close to rotting off. 

The posts we normally use are CCA lodgepole pine. Not all lodgepole pine posts are equal though. Some suppliers(like the ones stocked in local farm stores) do not have a good treat process. All of our posts come from a company in Canada that warranties them for 25 years. The posts are kiln dried prior to being treated. Other suppliers don't do this and the difference really shows in how well the treat takes.   

I will have to brush up on my welding skills if pipe ever catches on here. Seems like welding up a pipe brace would be more time consuming than building a wood brace? Also, a stupid question, but how do you attach wire to pipe posts? 

Where are you getting your posts/how vit of a load do you have to buy?

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 00:27, Thegoatman22 said:

Where are you getting your posts/how vit of a load do you have to buy?

pipe is readily avaialable here. for the most part we use new structural reject pipe.we use some oilfield pipe , but when buying oilfield pipe you better know whatyour doing..you just we use a double wrap around the post and finish it like any termination knot. a welded h brace with a pipe deadman is supior to a wood h in every way. I'm open to civil discussion on the matter.  my observation has been those against steel braceing simply lack the ability to weld.                         please forgive poor spelling andtypos........im on a new machine

3 hours ago, Fence said:

pipe is readily avaialable here. for the most part we use new structural reject pipe.we use some oilfield pipe , but when buying oilfield pipe you better know whatyour doing..you just we use a double wrap around the post and finish it like any termination knot. a welded h brace with a pipe deadman is supior to a wood h in every way. I'm open to civil discussion on the matter.  my observation has been those against steel braceing simply lack the ability to weld.                         please forgive poor spelling andtypos........im on a new machine

Did you have to ether the laptop to get it started?

3 hours ago, Fence said:

I meant that question for Oregon fencer, I wouldn't be against metal posts if I could find a good source of pipes and clientele that wanted them. (I like welding, and my 1 employ is a certified welder) People like the look of the wood around here. And most of my fences are small fences around peoples houses, fences for like 2 goats or a horse, that sort of thing.

What size pipes do you use for the H post?

1 hour ago, Thegoatman22 said:

I meant that question for Oregon fencer, I wouldn't be against metal posts if I could find a good source of pipes and clientele that wanted them. (I like welding, and my 1 employ is a certified welder) People like the look of the wood around here. And most of my fences are small fences around peoples houses, fences for like 2 goats or a horse, that sort of thing.

What size pipes do you use for the H post?

Pardon me.

We use 23/8 to 3" on braces and pipe fence. I use absolutely zero lumber in agriculture fence. we drive H post to around 40" every H gets a deadman. no exception I will not build just a H. the dead man is driven to a depth of 4 to 8foot. our ground is predominantly rocky. in places it's nothing but rock. 

in these areas we may fall short of 3' the length of the rock drill . KIMG2650.JPG.0ad4cb8a956e62b93f50383a8374afef.JPGKIMG2641.JPG.212c20e24077877eda4f6e14f2f48ea1.JPGKIMG2861.JPG.4207eeadbcca5e44440a4886d27bc806.JPGKIMG0396.jpg.60ac19c71ad2c0a79b1c05194a49f994.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:48, Thegoatman22 said:

Looks pretty good. I think it would make alot of sense for people to switch to metal, I set alot of posts in holes full of water.

Be the first in your area to use it, and do a good job.  You'll have more work than you can handle in no time.  Galvanized wire on galvanized posts with galvanized fasteners......  It'll last forever.  

www.farmfencetalk.co.uk/gallery/image/615-img_5283jpg/

Archived