Post pounder

Thegoatman22

I am thinking about upgrading to a tractor with a post pounder this summer sometime. Maybe a shaver, but I really don't know yet. 

I have some questions about post pounders themselves. How hard is it to keep the post where you want it? What if you hit a root or rock? Do you have to sharpen the posts? How does the rock pick actually work?

Basically I need a 101 course on post pounders. All I really know for sure is that my elbows are quite sick of the one man gas auger.

I've used just about every method there is for setting post. Except for the European style drivers. I'm in predominantly rocky ground and sometimes a pneumatic drill is required. I still have my air driver but I recently switched back to the I-beam driver's. I have a shaver 8 on a old 70 horse and a new shaver 12 spring less. Im liking it pretty good. I only use pipe so I can't help you much with the wood post. I'm planning to add a hydraulic rock drill and getting away from the pneumatic tools as much as possible. Definitely without a doubt get hydraulic tilt.

I've found with any new equipment to take it out by myself for a couple of days and take my time learning it. 

Here's my first day with the new rig.

I don't know how the tom t hall got in there? ....luck I reckon

Edit to add....bear with me there about midway when I have to move the tractor. With a little practice I can set up on my dead man post where I don't have to move.

Archived