fixed knot versus squre knot

Fence

I'm became a big fan of the square knot and one piece stay probably round y2k. it was low tensil  redbrand. it stretched and graded out so much better than hingedjoint wire. this is even more so with high tensil.  id like to say I will never use low carbon or hinged knot again but often I'm dealing with a hardheaded texas rancher. ive known him since I was born. I have to give him what he wants....even if hes wrong. weve converted plenty to tornado and we try on very one. there wont be any hinge knot in my barn and theres very little fixed. almost all torus square not. sise by side they both make a world class fence. the torus being a little cheaper.....usually. and easier to work. imo.  I'm just curious can anyone give me a good friendly argument that I can use with my customers on why the fixed knot is considered king.

Most of the members here live in hinge joint territory, so you may not get much of an argument for fixed knot.  I think the only fixed knot I laid eyes on in the UK, was at the Tornado factory.  1147-6 Torus is the called for spec used for RR right of ways.......I think.....so square knot is common.  I like Titan fixed knot, but I like Torus square knot, too.  Anywhere there will be pressure from livestock, trees, neighbors kids, etc, I like fixed knot.  They are both plenty stiff, but the fixed knot is a bit tougher, and quite a bit more visible.  The biggest benefit of Torus, in my opinion, would be the long rolls.    

I would rather use hinge knot over torus. Torus is easy and quick to strip the verticals and pulls up well but the square knot is not as strong IMO. It moves out of place too easily if pushed down, i can't see the fence lasting/looking as good long term.

We don't use much titan fixed knot in the UK, purely down to cost, farmer knowledge and availability although I do think it is the best knot available. It is a strong knot and combines the one piece vertical found in torus.

Just need Tornado wire to make a T8/90/30 at a reasonable price 

Archived