gates

tommy7840

How does everyone hang double gates.We have done a lot over the years we happened to be doing some wooden drive gates and somehow it took a long time.It was a tidy job when we were done but sorry no pictures as we had to finish in the dark  (shortage of materials by the customer) Thanks for any replys guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like a single gate only twice.......lol

We rarely use wood, but when we do we use a welded metal frame will trusses. As in the bottom photo. That gate has been up ten plus years by the way. 8x10. The truss rods can be tightened or loosened to give a small amount of adjustment. No screws or bolts in any of my hinges. Every thing is welded up once the gates or right. And sometimes you just have to hang them. See where you screwed up, cut em down and do it again.............and never, ever ever ever ever let the customer pick up materials.

KIMG4064.jpg

KIMG4067.jpg

KIMG4063.jpg

KIMG4062.jpg

KIMG4059.jpg

I use a laser level to mark the two gate posts and check for levels and any ground clearance issues. I have some cheap scissor car jacks to sit the matched pair on so you can wind them up or down to find level and slide them left or right to get my spacing on the posts identical and the gap in the middle.  Then mark and drill them.

Set your first post (the highest side if there is one) and then set your receiver and staff up to suit that ones height. When you have got the next one set up use you receiver on that post and adjust post accordingly, bringing it to the right height. There is usually 5mm or so tolerance so bare that in mind. 

Archived