Metal H posts

Thegoatman22

2 7/8" oil pipe. I personally would drive them. Some swear by concrete though in soft soil. No tension wire on a welded H brace because it should have a diagonal going to a stubby pipe. I would skip the H and just build an angle. You want to make sure your stubby pipe is plenty deep 5'+. In place of welding, there are a few companies who make brackets, but they are spendy.  

8 hours ago, Thegoatman22 said:

Why wouldn't you drive them?

I would drive them, even in soft soil.  If it's that soft, weld some more on and keep driving.  If it's soup, weld in a tieback after you plant 20' of pipe.  We use SS40 galvanized here, since it's wet.  A pipe H brace would still need some sort of diagonal support, so that's why you will normally see just an N brace, or an H with the N.  I have seen some pipe H braces with a brace wire, and it proved effective.   Like OFF says, the angled brace is a necessary part of a welded assembly.   If it's soft, we'll use a "stubby" up to 10' long driven sub grade.  Ol' Fence will be glad to see this conversation.  

13 hours ago, West Fork Fence said:

I would drive them, even in soft soil.  If it's that soft, weld some more on and keep driving.  If it's soup, weld in a tieback after you plant 20' of pipe.  We use SS40 galvanized here, since it's wet.  A pipe H brace would still need some sort of diagonal support, so that's why you will normally see just an N brace, or an H with the N.  I have seen some pipe H braces with a brace wire, and it proved effective.   Like OFF says, the angled brace is a necessary part of a welded assembly.   If it's soft, we'll use a "stubby" up to 10' long driven sub grade.  Ol' Fence will be glad to see this 

By tie back donyou mean foot the post?, and not sure what you mean by stubby? 

I must have miss read something earlier, I had thought you said you didnt need to tie the H post, glad I checked

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:15, Thegoatman22 said:

By tie back donyou mean foot the post?, and not sure what you mean by stubby? 

I must have miss read something earlier, I had thought you said you didnt need to tie the H post, glad I checked

A tieback isn't the same as a foot, and doesn't mean that wire and knots have to be involved.  It would just be an additional way to keep a turn post or strainer from heaving in light soil.   Sometimes, after the wire is strung, we will have to weld from the top of a turn post, down to a very large stubby that is driven on the outside of the turn.  Of course it's braced to the inside, but sometimes in muck or sand it'll want to lift no matter what you do.  That's when we weld on a "tieback".  It could also be done below grade, if there were a reason you couldn't have some bracing above grade.   A stubby is the pipe driven all the way into the ground that the angled bit is welded to on the low side.  

1 hour ago, West Fork Fence said:

A tieback isn't the same as a foot, and doesn't mean that wire and knots have to be involved.  It would just be an additional way to keep a turn post or strainer from heaving in light soil.   Sometimes, after the wire is strung, we will have to weld from the top of a turn post, down to a very large stubby that is driven on the outside of the turn.  Of course it's braced to the inside, but sometimes in muck or sand it'll want to lift no matter what you do.  That's when we weld on a "tieback".  It could also be done below grade, if there were a reason you couldn't have some bracing above grade.   A stubby is the pipe driven all the way into the ground that the angled bit is welded to on the low side.  

Ok, so when I have a post that wants to lift up, but is on an existing fence I drive those duck bills from kencove. That would be a tiebacks then? 

3 minutes ago, Thegoatman22 said:

Ok, so when I have a post that wants to lift up, but is on an existing fence I drive those duck bills from kencove. That would be a tiebacks then? 

I suppose it would be similar, but not suitable for muck or sand.  Email me your phone number, and I'll send you a picture.  luke@farmfencesolutions.com

Archived