curved post and rail

I would stretch a line across the length of the fence, then put a few posts tapped in where the direction changes to bend the line and then make it up as you go along blending out the sharp corners. If you are using square sawn you can be more adventurous as there is more bend in the rails where as with half rounds in my experience you have to be more conservative!. You will soon see if you start going wrong but once you get the hang of it its easier than doing a straight line! 

I always allow for a bit of tolerance with rails, usually 20-30mm and rail up afterwards, I like to trim the joints to get a nice join and would rather cut them down a bit than get caught short! but bear in mind you may need more tolerance when going on a curve as it stretches the rails if that makes sense.

You will find it a lot easier to use 5" full round posts to rail to, a lot easier to cut the rails in and make look right, we currently on a job installing a curved 8 metre wide gallop for polo pony exercise area, posts are 8' 5x4, 3 4x2" rails and 2 6x2" kick boards inside fence 400 metres around and outside 600 metres takes a while to cut rails and boards in to look right, will try and up load a picture of it so far, not an easy job!!!!

If the rails are 3.6 then I always space posts at 1.75 mtrs, that means every rail will be lo g enough I means you need to cut every rail,but it's easier to take away than add length!

Also I always do be bottom rail first the whole length of the fence, I tack it on the once I'm happy with it it is just a case of cutting spacers to the required size and crack on, oh a don't forget to stagger the joints I've seen fences by joiners with all seams on same posts.

If we're using sawn post and rail we work the line we want to follow with string and using canes to get an good idear of where we are going. Then drive one post at a time but nail on a rail so it's sticking out half way to use as a guide for the next post you can then bend the rail with your leg and drive the next post against it as a guide for distance and post angle.

Not sure if this makes sense but works well we just use the two bottom rails as the guides then nail the top rail no afterwards will try and add a pic but having trouble with photo bucket

Archived