Rant.

I'm driving a concrete mixer this week, turned up at a job yesterday and there was a man hovering about to watch, I thought he was a nosey farmer, but he was the owner of the yard. As soon as I got out the truck and saw the job. A "retaining wall" 4ft high built from single width wall 4 inch breeze block.

I said to him "get your video camera ready. "

sure enough within a minute the wall buckled and went nearly burying a fella with it. A lot of clueless people out there that can't see anything but there money disappearing, you would think they would learn after a few double expense exercises.

I'm not patriotic, but apparently Britain was once great. No chance anymore.

I get this no end with work for developers. Had a brilliant spec come in a short while ago wanting "pair of 1.8m high fully boarded gates totaling 3.6m wide hung on 100x100 softwood posts" 

Main problem in all areas seems to be that people writing specs whether for stewardship schemes, new developments or for local authority have no experience or knowledge about what makes a good fence, the varying quality/grades of timber or what the letters and numbers relating to wire actually mean! They seem to all look at it a being "just a fence".

And dont even get me started on private customers, the best line i keep getting is that we are more expensive than Joe Blogs landscaping kitchen fitting and decorating services incorporated but they would rather we did the work - PAY THE EXTRA MONEY THEN!

Looks like we're all in the same boat we get specs for security fencing sizes that don't even exist and Timber treatment specs still quoting the old CCA treatment... They haven't got a clue when you tell them it's been band for about 8 years.... Had a post and rail spec from for round a Sainburys using just notched posts and arris rail ..., mind boggles

Ha yes love it Charlie. We had one back along from an architect to post and rail a school car park. The timber spec was fine but the drawing stated the posts to be put into the ground 100mm !!! I rang and said there had been a misprint as it should read 1000mm. I was told in no uncertain terms that that was impossible and that 100mm was right because the ground might be hard. I said that was totally unacceptable especially once the kids start climbing on it and it falls over. I was told I don't know what I was doing ! Then another one was a boundary closed board fence in a large garden. It was to split the garden as the other end was sold for a building plot. The solicitor rang and said he marked the fence ends for me. Only about 15m no problem. About 2 months later the solicitor rang telling me I put the fence in the wrong place as the builders who bought the plot found out once they got working from the datum point. It was about 1' out. And that I would have to move it at my cost. I replied shall I send you the photos of our fence in relation to your marker pegs to prove a point. He dropped the phone on me. I called in to see the builders not long after. I said what about the fence. The solicitor admitted the fence was in the wrong place but it wasn't his fault and paid them £1000 for the 1' of land. And these people call themselves professionals !!!

Archived