Ben from Maine USA

Ben Fencin

Hey everyone.  Found this forum and signed up.  Always looking for good ideas.  I have been building fence since I was  a teenager in the 90's.  Got serious about contracting a few years ago.  Started with an I Beam US made driver, then got a Vector Model 3 with Rock Spike in 2010.  Just picked up a Bryce Suma Vulcan 400 HL and a QuickFencer.  I run some really hard ground here due to glaciers 20k + years ago.  

Hi Ben, welcome along. I worked on a ranch farm in South East North Dakota for 2 years and picked up my best electric fencing and box strainer knowledge from there.

Glad to see you've been using proper post drivers, I struggled to find any for the farmer while I was there, he got a post pounder at the time! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD2w06staY. Now he's looking for a proper one after I told him it wouldn't last. What size monkey weight is your new Vulcan?

Hi Ben, welcome along. I worked on a ranch farm in South East North Dakota for 2 years and picked up my best electric fencing and box strainer knowledge from there.

Glad to see you've been using proper post drivers, I struggled to find any for the farmer while I was there, he got a post pounder at the time! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD2w06staY. Now he's looking for a proper one after I told him it wouldn't last. What size monkey weight is your new Vulcan?

When I was a teen, we installed everything by hand.  Crowbar for a pilot hole and a piece of square tubing capped off.  I went away to college, worked out of State then eventually came back to Maine.  In 2008 I bought an inexpensive Shaver, it's an I beam with springs.  Works ok, but you get what you pay for.  In 2010 I bought the Vector, it was the cheapest post driver sold in the USA that I could find with a Rock Spike.  One dealer had recently started selling them rather than King Hitter.  I really wanted to get a tracked machine, in the end I couldn't justify a dedicated machine at this time.  I wanted versatility.  When I bought the Vector I knew I'd eventually want a Model 4.  I found out about Bryce, found out what happened with them and Vector, some of the differences were explained.  My second choice would probably have been a Revolution 180.  

I got the 400kg hammer on the Vulcan.  Jock recommended the 500kg, but I didn't think I needed it.  Most of the time I don't, but maybe it would be nice at time with big strainers.  It takes time to get a machine to the US, but you get a whole lot of driver for the money with Bryce since you're buying direct.  By the way, the dealer importing the Vector is going to sell off their inventory and not import any more of them, too many problems and poor service with warranties.  They are selling a vibrating machine, but nothing with a rock spike.  My primary supplier that is actually closer (3.5 hours away) sells King Hitter.  King Hitter seems like a toy after working with the Bryce.  As Jock Bryce says "I like big hammers!"

Archived