fence post spacing

Sean_H

• 10 months later...

This thread has been annoying me as there was little detail for non fencers looking for information so here's a bit more clarity.

There's two types of wire Mild Steel and High Tensile

Traditionally mild steel (MS) has been used and post spacing was 2m or 6'. I would normally put posts in at 2.5-2.7m but happy to go up to 3m. MS cannot be pulled as tight and as such needs more intermediate posts to hold it up and give the fence strength.

Although its been around for decades High tensile (HT) has been less popular as it needs more skill to erect, although is a better product if done correctly. With HT post spacing's can be widened depending on the fence usage and 4-5m would be more common, but this can be increased to 6,8 or even 10 m in certain situations. 

The number really depends on the use of the fence and the pressure it will receive.

It is also important to put posts on the humps and in the hollows, to keep the fence height correct to the ground (not horizon) regardless of the spacing. This will mean the fence wont be perfectly straight on top but will be more stock proof 

I have to ask have you ever fenced to a customer with livestock that would accept 10mt between each post?

Would you like a field of limousine heifers fenced with posts 10 mtrs apart?

3 paces is the most I've been allowed to leave between posts for cattle I've done 4-5 paces of electric fence for horses but that's the limit,

Don't understand why your being picky?

I said High tensile is capable of spanning 8/10 m, and 4/5m is common, doesn't mean you do that everywhere. Each situation is different. A fence round a wood for example with NO stock pressure doesn't need 3m spacing and that's where the 'every situation is different' comes into it.  A fence in a high stock pressure area etc forcing area into a pen you would need more post support. Its up to your judgement.

I'd quite happily put HT at 4m spacing for your Limousin cattle and expect them to stay in!

I will go to 3 m spacing with ht net no probs and it will take most stock prsure .but there a a lot off the farmers round me that are old school they like there post at 1.8 spacing I still use ht it's more like a wall than a fence but keeps them happy.

On some hill fences I will change the post spacing to suit the condition and with the use off a couple extra wire and lashing rods I will go to 6 m spacing on the level good going bits.on customer aprovel

Everyone will have an opinion, as a rule with mild steel we would go no more than 3.5 mtr, but never really use mild steel now. With ht as said previously would quite happily go further. We use the torus knot as standard rather than hinge joint and I think this is worth the money, the wire is so much stronger with less posts needed. also I think the barb wire on top is important, if to big a space cattle will put there head through and then ****** the wire. We generally put one line about 2 inch above the wire and another about 4 inch above that. I have seen wire with the first barb to high above the net and it soon looks a mess.

Round here tradition for mild steel was about 3.5 metre and trying to convince farmers you can got to 5 metres with good h/t wire is impossible. As their father and their fathers father and their fathers fathers father have always done it like that. So why should they change.

Archived