Fencing bars

HenryG

For years we have been using the solid full round bars for baring the ground before driving the posts (when rock spike not needed) but over the years they get left on jobs and now down to 2, have been looking to buy more but most are either to thin and bend or are 50 p shape shaft which rub your hands and again tend to be springy, I know up north they use a big wedge bar but not available down south any one know of any suppliers for decent bars????

No i see your point Henry, although the weight also works in its advantage, it seems to do a lot of the work for you. Although you need the effort to lift it up, it doesn't need a lot of force downwards. I have a couple of lighter bars, the roughneck type I think, they are about 17lbs and I will now often pick up the Bryce bar instead, despite it being heavier it is quicker for sure. we generally have at least two on a job so we can swap around, it also saves the staff on gym membership.

I still use a old blacksmith made one that I bought at a farm sale years ago, always keep my eye out for them at farm sales got 3 now ! The one I use all the time is a nice 4"x4" square that tapers to a point and is roughly 5ft long, could be 50years old, had a fresh point hammered out by a local farrier a couple of times tho ! I will have a look at the bryce ones at lamma tho, any idea how much they are ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived