insurance work

premnayloon

I have an insurance job to do this weekend, entails repairing around 20-30 metres of six lines barbed wire to 're join, one strainer to put back around 15 posts

The last insurance job I did was for a customer, was replacing a strainer and 're attaching the lines, only a couple of hours work, I charged £300, and the insurance company paid thAt no problem,

The customer is a client who put a big four figure sum of work my way when I first started up, and do t want to be too hard on him.

You are a professional fencing contractor, and carry out your work to a higher standard and spec than a gfw.

You therefore want paying for your knowledge, expertise, equipement and not just a wage.You can get a wage working for someone else when you don't have to use your own equipment or use your brain. If it is a good customer they understand you are running a business and not a charity

i always quote high and professionally.

there's been an accident so its on a dangerous piece of road & you will need Traffic management, risk assessment, method statement etc.

if the farmer has had to put up a temp fence add some to cover his costs and pay him that bit back,

if its a hedge then you need to rabbit proof, plant, weed for 2 years and replant any dead plants, again to benefit your client  you may need to include laying the hedge etc to bring into line with current maintenance systems and don't forget to charge for licence disposal of wire post and any car debris left behind.

you might find that the insurance company will deal with you direct as the contractor, they don't like paying a middle man these days (ie the farmer)

they don't always go for the cheapest, we won one a couple of years ago with a price of £1500 for a fence against one for £350.00 as they didn't think they needed TM on a busy A road near a roundabout

Theres at least 10 guys ready to do every job here and all ready to go here and now cos thers no work, some of them are running several machines and apparently the deskwork is good too so if you want to work here you have to fight for it. I think it depedns on what the work situation is liek where you are how you quote cos when youv had no work for a while then it changes hwo you think about quotes.

• 5 months later...

I have an insurance job to do this weekend, entails repairing around 20-30 metres of six lines barbed wire to 're join, one strainer to put back around 15 posts

The last insurance job I did was for a customer, was replacing a strainer and 're attaching the lines, only a couple of hours work, I charged £300, and the insurance company paid thAt no problem,

The customer is a client who put a big four figure sum of work my way when I first started up, and do t want to be too hard on him.

When ever someone mentions insurance and quote I tend to loose interest, most insurance companies insist on two or three quotes, they will often settle with the policyholder who usually bodges it themselves, pocketing the money. Thus unless for an exisiting client I tend to be too busy.

Of course some would/will be good paying jobs. Ask how much the vehicle recovery firm charges to recover and store a car per day, how much the body repair shop charges etc. and use that as a yard stick.

When ever someone mentions insurance and quote I tend to loose interest, most insurance companies insist on two or three quotes, they will often settle with the policyholder who usually bodges it themselves, pocketing the money. Thus unless for an exisiting client I tend to be too busy.

Of course some would/will be good paying jobs. Ask how much the vehicle recovery firm charges to recover and store a car per day, how much the body repair shop charges etc. and use that as a yard stick.

A licence to print money!! 

Archived