Chain wire strainers

D A MacDougall Fencing

The straight rite ones I have do not turn 360 degrees at the handle clamp ends , if you know what I mean a real disappointment for me I use Donald ones, I just feel the £100 plus price when I can get the Donald ones for around half that is a no brainer

You can get a swivel grab head on the handle, part no FCS00600, £75 ex VAT, could be cheaper if you go through tornado. (You may have to wait for it to be imported if theres none in the country)

I use all strainrite gear with no problems.

Go to www.rural-fence.com.au, they have a spring grip wire strainer (its like a modern monkey strainer). There wasn't a UK importer yet (hint to tornado) but they are expensive.

$299 dollars each, shipping for 1 set $75 by sea, $145 by air, import duty $20 (cheaper for more sets). They were to expensive for me, so i cant tell what there like. Maybe someone here has a set and can give us a review.

I use strain rite and love them, got the swivel head on. Can't compare them to Haynes as never used them, but I do like the ones I have. Maybe a bit more expensive, but I have had mine 6 years now and still work fine. Going to last a long time, you can just get new spring kits for a few quid for them.

We use Haynes and never had any problems and my sets are prob 15+ years old also have a few sets of Donald ones like you say cheaper but more awkward to use as they don't run along the chain as well. Can't coment on strainrite as we don't have any but looking at utube would say very similar to Haynes.

Go to www.rural-fence.com.au, they have a spring grip wire strainer (its like a modern monkey strainer). There wasn't a UK importer yet (hint to tornado) but they are expensive.

$299 dollars each, shipping for 1 set $75 by sea, $145 by air, import duty $20 (cheaper for more sets). They were to expensive for me, so i cant tell what there like. Maybe someone here has a set and can give us a review.

iv seen the Ozy ones, contacted both Tornado and rural fence but as yet no free sample lol 

we have both hayes and strainright and theres no real difference

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They do look to work well but it is a demo in the open with a wire at waist height. They won't make life much easier when on your knees in the bottom of a wet hedge.

Also they look to have quite a few springs which is something else to go wrong and then need fixing. Be interesting to see where they pitch the price.

Archived