fencing, the unwritten rules

premnayloon

Let's have a bit of fun, what things about the job make you pull your hair out and think , how the hell does that work,

When unrolling a plain wire spool, and it catches on the wheel, it's never right next to the spool always at least 2-300 yards away, usually around 6 ft from the other end of the fence,

No matter how many times you count the number of tube insulators and posts never correspond.

A wire to be stapled ALWAYS ends up on the only knots in the whole post,

You ways leave your snips on the opposite end you are working on.

Like when you dig in a strut only to find the only boulder in the whole field or a root 2 inches under the surface!

Or when you put your mug of tea on top of the strainer to cool down and it blows off in the wind before you`ve even taken a sip!

Or you roll out netting only to find the roll ends a meter from the strainer.

The worst for me is when you`ve walked to the furthest point from the tractor only to find you've forgotten your pliers, hammer, crimps or run out of staples etc., usually up a bank or over a bog and you`ve got to walk back!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

What about when the customer tells u there 1000 m to do and u show up with kit and gear and there is only 300 m near blow my lid but just bit my lip and done it.

I did price and look at the job before hand that made it even more anoying .

Never mind these things happen fxxx pxxx off

What about when the customer tells u there 1000 m to do and u show up with kit and gear and there is only 300 m near blow my lid but just bit my lip and done it.

I did price and look at the job before hand that made it even more anoying .

Never mind these things happen fxxx pxxx off

Still what comes round goes around it's not always the bad times. We went to do 89m of post and rail they liked it so much ended up doing 600m and the job we are on at the mo just went up another 500m only problem is it cocks up the schedule hate ringing customers who have waited 8 weeks for us to tell them we are another few weeks behind ..

Just do what I do when asked when I can manage, I repeat what a local sparky used to say to customer,

"Not this week, definitely not next week, maybe the week after,"

If u think I'll be 3-4 weeks I always add a week then if when you turn up its always earlier than you said and makes customers feel great.

Archived