electric fencing

premnayloon

Just thought it would be good to start a thread on electric fencing and all thoughts and questions on the subject,

Im currently doing a job that is electric for horses, anyway I think there is problem with the earth and was told by a Rutland traveller that the best earth for an elec fence is to connect it to a rylock fence anyone tried that.

If the electric fence I'm installing is over 2000 metres I always double up on the earth stakes next to this power unit, you will find this will help the issue of poor earth.

Not a huge fan of just post and electric for equestrian use, ideal to run along top of the rail to prevent chewing and rubbing, but have seen some nasty incidents when there is nothing solid behind the elec wire or rope......

A good earth should do the job, burying a crash barrier seems excessive.

A couple of good east rods and do more the bigger the job, make sure they are spaced correctly and in a good area and you should never have to many problems. Can always dig a hole and back fill with an earthing compound if required.

I must say I personally like electric, I am with Henry not ideal on its own for just horses does need a bit more, but for anything else can be one of the best fences around and can be much cheaper to put up. I do think electric will become more popular as prices of materials keep increasing.

Just my opinion.

We fit a lot of electric for horses, one livery yard we work at uses two 38mm tapes and it's been up over 6 years with very little repairs to do, the key to it is good quality tape and earth we normally use two 2.1 m galv palisade pales they work will driven all the way in and a few metres apart. On the tape front there's so much **** stuff on the Internet this is normally the problem with poor power. In the last few years we've used Patura tape but the higher grade stuff 3000m runs hardly loose any power.

Also the tornado centaur rail is great.. Easy to erect and the elec hot rail ontop stops even the most troublesome horse in its tracks. We fitted 7 turnout paddocks at Ted Edgar's last year and they are so happy with it we are doing another bunch of paddocks in a few weeks

Yeah used in drier areas bentonite is prob most common and it retains water to give better earth, often used on larger construction jobs to back fill trenches, but also very useful on electric fences,also there is marconite, never used it, but seen it used once and it was mixed in with cement and gravel instead of sand and gave a good conducting concrete around the earth rods on a mobile phone tower, also helped prevent pikeys nick the earth rods apparently.

Agree with charlie, quality is the key, so much rubbish out there in all products. Copper in the tape much better. We also used aluminium wire on 3000 metre job we did, was lovely to work with and so light. Easy to tie off and pulled it up by hand. Good conductor. A lot of the electric companies are changing from copper wires to aluminium now as although it's not quite as good as copper, it is cheaper and not as valuable on the scrap market.

Archived