Terms and conditions

James Corbett

i take materials upfront, if they cant pay that then they certainly cant pay labour, 

my terms are 14 days, but i am considering offering a 5% discount for imediate payment,

to be fair most customers pay upon completion of work and i always get asked back

my motto is 

Prompt payment recieves prompt attention.

We only ask for a deposit if it's a very large job and we have never delt with them before .. Or if I get the feeling they are dodgee ..! But our terms on our quotes are simply payment required on completion and generally most do pay within a week or so... We've had the odd bad one over the years but once Julie gets on their case the Glasgow side of her pops into force and they soon give in... For a small redhead she can be quite menacing.

And as a bit of a heads up for you all our insurers have today told us that we have to include in our quotes for security fencing that we don't guarantee that the fence will prevent people from breaking in so to cover us incase a company try to sue us if this happens ..!

I agree, prompt payment gets us to go back to jobs much quicker. I don't generally charge materials upfront unless it's a big job we can't afford or we don't know the customer. Luckily around us, most people know everyone else, if not related. We generally ask for payment when the customer is happy with the job. We have 14 days written on the invoice, but I don't think anyone adheres to this. So very rarely get chased up until after about a month, we have some customers that are great payers and these are the ones that you will go and do a small repair job for quickly.

We do have terms and conditions, but never get them signed and most times we forget to send them with a quote again how many people take notice of them

New customer’s materials up front repeat customer’s payment on completion.

Now started to take card payments while mobile that should F**k the ones that can’t find the cheque book.

To be honest bad payers are few but don’t like people taking the **** you do get the od one

I get them to sign a piece of paper now saying they agree to pay etc, upfront for new customers and 14 days for my usual customers. Had the p*** taken out of me too many times now and certainly don't trust your friends in young farmers! 

Been screwed over on one job, supplied materials etc and erected the high tensile stock fence and waited on payment. 14 days had past and no sign of the payment, had local supplier chomping at the bit. Gave them a reminder invoice, then received an abusive call to say I wasn't up to contracting standard quoting; "I was f***ing s*** at fencing" and saying they'd only pay me for materials to which I told them that was ludicrous. Didn't even cover the cost of my diesel or running costs let alone my wages! They sent me photos of the wire and that which had snapped and posts that had moved, which I noticed which had been driven into by machinery. All I can say is the farm was a mess as it was I wasn't surprised the fencing was mess, a shed had fallen down where I was working and they expected me to drive over the twisted metal girders and rubbish with my tractor!

In the end I paid the supplier of my own back to settle that as didn't want to become a bad payer. Taken them to court over it and will hopefully get the full invoice paid for.

It's a real kick in the teeth when you squeeze there job in first as there needing it doing ASAP and they try and pull the wool over your eyes. 

Sounds like total s%¥thouses!

Though if I had pulled in about and seen the place in that state, then alarm bells would start to ring,

Im lucky in that I work part time at an auction Mart, and I can do some covert due diligence on potential customers and so far I've not had fingers burnt.

I get them to sign a piece of paper now saying they agree to pay etc, upfront for new customers and 14 days for my usual customers. Had the p*** taken out of me too many times now and certainly don't trust your friends in young farmers! 

Been screwed over on one job, supplied materials etc and erected the high tensile stock fence and waited on payment. 14 days had past and no sign of the payment, had local supplier chomping at the bit. Gave them a reminder invoice, then received an abusive call to say I wasn't up to contracting standard quoting; "I was f***ing s*** at fencing" and saying they'd only pay me for materials to which I told them that was ludicrous. Didn't even cover the cost of my diesel or running costs let alone my wages! They sent me photos of the wire and that which had snapped and posts that had moved, which I noticed which had been driven into by machinery. All I can say is the farm was a mess as it was I wasn't surprised the fencing was mess, a shed had fallen down where I was working and they expected me to drive over the twisted metal girders and rubbish with my tractor!

In the end I paid the supplier of my own back to settle that as didn't want to become a bad payer. Taken them to court over it and will hopefully get the full invoice paid for.

It's a real kick in the teeth when you squeeze there job in first as there needing it doing ASAP and they try and pull the wool over your eyes. 

Haydn, you may notice im always posting pics of things off my fone, If i have any doubts, pics before during and as we leave site. Its paid off more than once

We do put on our invoices all materials belong to us until paid for in full and we reserve the right to remove if not aid for. You can't be done for taking something you own. Not even in this mad world we live in.

It's a grey area because another contractor round me got done for removing even though he owned the materials.

I put the same thing as you always have Charlie but have been told it wouldn't stand in court I would be done for trespass and damage if it's on there property but I leave it on there hopefully might make people think!! If it ever happened probably would smash it done if I can't have money your not having a fence one way or another.

Always have a written quote including spec and approximate distance including terms of payment always get them to email or write to you agreeing to the price and giving you authority to proceed always have retention of title on your invoice, if they don't pay download the county court papers putting there details and your claim including costs send it to them by registered post informing them that they have 14 days to settle or you will file the claim if they don't pay in 14 days then file it, they then have a further 14 days before you can apply for judgment. Very seldom do we have trouble getting paid but on the odd occasion we have always been paid when they get the court papers as it frightens them to death as they don't want CJs

Had the conversation with a commercial litigation lawyer about T@Cs and they said they are not worth the paper they are written on if they are not going to pay then they won't , but the above dose work. Don't argue with them don't fall out with them don't make threats just tell them what you are going to do and do it.! It's like a game of tennis you take the ball away then it's game over.

• 2 months later...

Interesting topic this, often paying for materials upfront, spending weeks of hard graft installing said materials, to hopefully be paid about a month later, whilst carrying the risk of not getting paid at all.

I've often thought I should really take 50% up front or 50% on delivery of materials to site with the balance on completion, but I guess like others have worried that if those were my terms than I would stand less chance of getting the job.

Archived