Pressure creosote

HenryG

Started a pretty big creosote post and rail job today and am wondering what other contractors use to protect them selves from burning whilst working with it, especially whilst driving posts.....obviously an easier job in the winter whilst wearing plenty of clothes, a different story in the summer in shorts and vests!! I find factor 50 sun cream works pretty well......what about you???

All I can say is cover yourself up and hope the sun does it come out .. Hate the stuff even thought it's the best treatment available. My biggest concern is the fact that it's likely to be carcinogenic and the H Safety implications of particularly if you employ anyone working with it..

I haven't found a way to prevent the burn? As everyone says, it is worse in the summer, but even this time of year it is not nice.as soon as I satrt handling it, I have an urge to itch my nose or scratch my forehead and then. BOOM it has got you, right at the start of the day. We use plenty of barrier cream which helps a bit. I wear a hat as well and that sure helps my forehead stop getting burnt as much. One of the lads with me sometimes wears those white papery spray overalls, I would look like the Michelin man if I wore them, but does help on the clothes a bit.

Definitely the best treatment going and if it can make us all complain about it, you can say why all the little bugs and bacteria can't stand it.

• 3 weeks later...

I learnt a massive lesson when I first started out, spent a day knocking for another contractor in shorts and a vest on a baking summers day, all I can say is it was horrendous! plenty of sun cream helps, other than that the overalls stay on, especially if I am hugging big strainers all day.

Archived