Vibrating post drivers.

Frontrowfencing

So,I assume most of us have used a traditional hammer weight post knocker, but how many people have experince of the vibrating ones. And what does anyone know about them, are they good? I see you can get so,e that are on a mast, rather than on a digger, so this would be easier to get posts straight I assume.

Would be interested to know anyone's thoughts. You don't see much about them, but they seem to get good reviews from people that have used them.

I've seen work left by one, posts twisted, and any posts that had to be replaced all had the points ts totally mashed up with a hammer one there is the scope of small taps a vibrating one is very unforgiving on posts,

Mind you I have seen the website for the petrol ones and I would love the money to buy one of them.

Thanks for info.

Maybe not worth pursuing much more. Was thinking about the advantages of having one and trying to pick up a bit more work on some of these solar farms. We did one lot of posts for a company last year and it was hard ground. The hammer seemed do the tops of steel posts no good and I think steel on steel post plate would be the best either. I also wondered about the effectiveness of them on this new steel fencing that seems like it might take off.

I think I think too much.

The machine has done less than two hours work from new, it's difficult to start a pain to change the cup as you need Alan keys and lock tight as the screws come loose max size of cup only takes 4" stakes if you are on your own it's difficult to get the stakes straight as you have to hold the machine on top of the stake while it jumps and vibrates about whilst at the same time trying to stand back and make sure the stake is straight and at the correct hight, a total waste of time in clay hard ground or stones its totally infective!!! it cost about £1200.00 none of our guys will use it. It's in the store room gathering dust.

The person I dealt with at the show was quite pleasant on the day as they had a deal and an offer of a spare cup We paid for the machine by card at the show, the machine arrived without the spare cup when I rang the man was extremely abrupt and rude it ended in an argument before we received the spare cup,

That is my experience you must make your own decision

We were shown one towards the end of last summer on a job,by gripple, a petrol one that they sell. We were doing a run with the clipex steel posts, we tried it on a few of those and we were really impressed by the speed and accuracy that you could put them in, very quick. it was reasonably good ground but we were told it will punch through the hard stuff too. Im unsure of the suitability of using it on wooden posts though. If these steel posts do kick off in a big way, and we get a good run of it, i would definitely consider purchasing one, as for a one man installation it become a very quick process. I would like another trial of it for a longer duration before i made a final decision, and maybe see it work of some tougher ground.

If you pinched the holes first, would it not be better for getting posts straight, thanks for your reasoning certainly can say you have made a fair point,

I would look to pinch holes first though,

Would it be possible to get a square bracket fabricated for fitting on, I have to say I did think that the cup holder, would work loose with the vibration.

Think fountrowfencing was asking about the auto gadge post driver . Our Doyle .

Think these post drivers would work well on heaven steel post.

Plus because they are getting vibrated in u have more control where they are going inch bye inch.

Mite be wrong never used such a post driver but would consider it for such a job

Cheers for link rob,

I saw that one on Facebook earlier. And yes I was more on about the larger ones, rather than hand held, but all options are worth listening too. I was browsing the web and saw that auto guide did one on a tracked machine with a mast. It jst looked fair ok really. I have seen the ones that go on mini/midi diggers and although they look good, they seem to have a couple of major flaws to me. They clamp the wooden post to hard and when you go down with your dipper arm, the angle will change and not go straight, this can be overcome with a man and level stood next to it, but then this is not increasing efficiency as a spare man is needed. Where as with a mast the drive will be much more accurate and plumb and a cup could probably be made for the post size so preventing damage traipsed by digger versions. Just wondered on peopele thoughts, I think solar fencing may take off and I am not keen on banging steel posts in, also if clipex takes off could be good for that, although maybe overkill and the above mentioned hand operated ones are the way to go for that.

I would post a link to the page I am on about if I knew how on my iPad. Ha ha.

We have a breaker with a 5.5 inch cup that fits on our kubota kx71 3 ton machine fantastic bit of kit you can thread it through woodland and it has good height we use it on pheasant pens

Also one on the kubota u10 1 ton machine this machine will go through pedestrian gateways use this in gardens and on rabbit fences. It will drive 5'6" 3-4" stakes all day and in all conditions You have to have the mounting brackets on the side of the breaker and close to the cup this gives you stability and accuracy when driving the stakes, if it is mounted on the top you have very little control and its useless

A few years back I watched some lads putting up hop trellising using a Jcb with a standard jack hammer on the back Howe with a home made cup instead of the breaker point, they were bagging in 10ft poles with no probs and as for getting them level and to depth they had a bit of string with a large spanner on the end of it hanging from the arm the driver lined this up with the post so it was up rite looking from side to side when the spanner touched the ground the post was to correct hight and the chap who held the post to start off with pointed to the right or left for the other direction... They had a good little system going and were rattling along

Archived