Clipex

stevew

i cant see how they can stand any stock preasure,  If i put a big bar in the ground i can work it to make a big hole for a wood fence post, so whet stops a cow etc leaning over a fence and just pushing it down?

I know it doesn't answer your question Steve

we did a job with the staple lock and delivery was about 10 weeks and the supplier is the same one 

I have heard mixed reports, but they are coming to demo it this week with us so I should be able to get more of an idea. I have reservations as we'll, but will last till I have seen it before I make my mind up. The stuff is sat in my yard at present.

I don't think the strength of post / stock pressure is my main concern though. When in Australia they often used steel waratas on many of their fences and they seem good, althiugh I do know it is a differnt type of fencing. ( that is maybe for a diffenrt thread and forum, but I do think electric systems are one of the best you can get) I can generally loosen.a wooden post with my hands as well. If ground is soft, they will be loose and if hard they will be firm. I am waiting till tested to make judgement.

I think they will have a place in the market but not sure for which users, farmers or contractors etc. I do think that if they take off and are popular, you will see many other companies follow, as there are other systems quite simialr out there, especially abroad.

A concern of mine is that the Rep tells me the steelwork will only take the wire that they supply, are you going to get continuity years down the line, once the steelwork is installed dose their wire net go up in price. Is there a patent on the spacing so that our host cannot manufacture a net to suit At least with timber there is a choice.

Having spoken to them it seems they are not keen on selling just the posts basically they want to supply it all by metre and everything for the job the main problem is strainers are not cheap and it would kind of defeat the object of the whole thing if you used timber ones

Like I say I will check it out and let you know. I can not see this being the case, as far as I was aware this is a sytem from Australia and not necessarily use xnet, as long as the horizontal spacings are the same, I don't see why it would work,

Surely they would be better to make it open to usimg other nets as well, sticking to one make of wire would limit the market rather than increase it, or it would in my opinion. I don't think I would want something where I couldn't use the wire I prefer the most on it.

I have put up a bit of clipex and it is good in my opinion but not for everywhere. As already said the strainers are expensive but they do seem to work well, although not sure how they would cope in a bog. Turning posts I found to be the biggest issue as I was told you can turn with a beefy post but this wasn't the case and the net pulled them over when it was tight. I ended up doing a gentle curve to solve this as I had to make do at the time. With regards to the net, your standard 8-80-15 wont fit on the clipex posts and you need to use the x fence as the spacings are different, this is deliberate! If I was doing my own fence I would use telegraph pole strainers with caps on and clipex as inters and I think it would be a good job! Another thing to remember with clipex is you have to put the posts in after the net is pulled up most of the way so that your knots don't get caught on the posts. I used it with ht 8-80-22 which made this a bit easier.

I have put up a bit of clipex and it is good in my opinion but not for everywhere. As already said the strainers are expensive but they do seem to work well, although not sure how they would cope in a bog. Turning posts I found to be the biggest issue as I was told you can turn with a beefy post but this wasn't the case and the net pulled them over when it was tight. I ended up doing a gentle curve to solve this as I had to make do at the time. With regards to the net, your standard 8-80-15 wont fit on the clipex posts and you need to use the x fence as the spacings are different, this is deliberate! If I was doing my own fence I would use telegraph pole strainers with caps on and clipex as inters and I think it would be a good job! Another thing to remember with clipex is you have to put the posts in after the net is pulled up most of the way so that your knots don't get caught on the posts. I used it with ht 8-80-22 which made this a bit easier.

All intersting stuff. Not keen on putting posts in after tensioned really, that was one of my concerns. I don't know how that would fit into our system. And as for. Differnt spacings, that could be quite annoying. I can maybe see why, but I do think it's limiting the market.

I know it is annoying but as said previously they are selling the whole package. The biggest problem I have found with it is most people are un happy with the aesthetics of it and for them that is enough of a reason not to use it!

The people who I have done it for are sheep and cattle farmers that rent a lot of ground on short term fbt's and are planning to take it with them when they leave! and the ability to do this makes it quite appealing to them.

Hi all, really interesting topic and it would be great to find out your views. Can I ask those who have tried it a couple of questions please?

What made you try this system in the 1st place?

Was it easier or more difficult to work with compared to traditional post and wire?

Is it quicker or slower to install that a traditional post and wire stock fence?  

In an ideal world what are you looking for in a fence post?

• 2 months later...

but they are coming to demo it this week with us so I should be able to get more of an idea. I have reservations as we'll, but will last till I have seen it before I make my mind up. The stuff is sat in my yard at present.

How did the demo go?

Only area that lets it down is visual appearance IMO.

It went ok thanks, looks I think depends on where it is going to be used. I don't think it necessarily fits in the countryside but round a more commercial site, such as a quarry it's ok. I think the strainers ar expensive, but it wil have its uses for sure, but I can't see it re inventing fencing, some good and bad points I think.

• 8 months later...

Any more updates on the clipex?

I've seen samples today at mc veigh parkers stand at lamma.

The biggest attraction in my opinion is no post rot.

For farmers the idea that it looks DIY able to install.

I imagine external corners will suffer if engaged by a large beast as a scratching post whilst holding tension.

I'd be interested to hear opinions? Is anyone doing a lot of this? I'm on 'thefarmingforum' and there is one adamant supporter, ironically he is a supplier aswel!

On paper seems good, quick installation, good post life, limited machinery needed.

I've got my reserves tho. Yes they use it (equivalent) Australia, but the stocking rates are soo low compared to ours, minimal stock pressure! Same in New Zealand, a lot of it in the southern alps, but once your into the north island and back to higher pressures the timber fence is more popular.

My other thought is, how long will it actually last? The climates in oz n nz are so different to ours, dryer and hotter. Stick a bit of metal in the ground here, how long is it going to last?

And then costs?

I remember pricing some and it seemed expensive?

Just to query the nz stocking rate. I assume you refer to sheep and not cattle. Because it always amazes me how they irrigate an area then stick it heavily with cows. I refer to the Mckenzie country around the hydro schemes in particular.

Electric can be the only thing that keeps them in. Maybe they supplement clip ex with it.

Personally I cannot see myself utilising clioex any time soon.

I think the future for long life stock

Fences is in sorting the timber failure with preservatives or barriers.

If it lasts which we don't know yet it is very good.

I have done a fair bit now and the new stayfast strainers with the face plates welded on them are excellent and don't move, the last job I did was on near pure sand and we pulled up 325 in one stretch and the strainers didn't move a bit, we did posts at 4m centres and the fence is like a big strong elastic band which is flexible yet wont break.

Unless your doing lots of sharp turns or stops and starts it is very fair on price and on par with hc4 timber and cheaper than creosote with no need for staples and no cutting/morticing and the posts drive much easier. The materials are less than half the bulk of timber and much more consistent meaning you can fill up your machine and go for two days or more. If a bullock rubs up against a 3-4" wooden post and snaps it, its end of for that post yet a clipex will flex and spring back, and with horses they wont eat it.

Its not for everyone and has its limitations but its good gear.

Yes goaty, referring to the sheep in the high country. Cattle wise it's nearly all electric from what I saw! I did some work along the waikati valley, everything was irrigated and impressively fenced, equal sized paddocks all with spring gates and Bungee electric gates so you could drive a quad over them.

@mikew what's the cost ppm installed on a average run? Let's say allowing a strainer every 50m?

Archived