Lubrication

RED STAG

Just wondering what everybody was using to lube up the working parts on their post driver.

I have been on spray chain lube for years its very hard wearing but does have its draw backs when working under trees that green moss or whatever it is sticks to the mast and makes a type of glue and can slow the weight and gripper plate down a bit.

Its not to environmentally friendly to  had on more than one occasion had to remove small birds stuck to it acts like a giant fly paper.  

Again we use the red coloured high temperature grease and chain lube. We put a bit of each in a big tub and mix it up together. No reason for using the high temperature stuff apart from you can usually see it a bit better. And it's not much more expensive. We then just paste it onto the mast with a paint brush.

I just use normal grease and put a bead around the top of the weight in the morning like you would mastic and the weight pulls it up the mast well. When I had the old parmiter I used to mix oil and diesel and put it in a coke bottle with a little hole punched in the lid so you could squirt it, that worked well as not much stuck to it. I find the worst thing is when I am towing the machine down the road in the wet and all the grit and muck comes off the wheels onto the mast and then sticks to the grease like grinding paste!

I use "bush and pin" grease, got moly and graphite in and is for hard wearing parts, doesn't dry up quite as quick as other grease and is a lot cheaper than just the black moly. Am sick of greasing so will grease a little everyday rather that the whole machine every couple of days, e.g. mast 2day,slides tmoz, legs and rams after. I find I don't mind spending a few minutes every day compared to 15 mins for the whole knocker. But will grease the hammer when ever needed especially if putting in a lot of inters

• 2 weeks later...

I smear on the black moly grease straight from the cartridge with a stick from the hedge or out of a pack of posts

As Jock says, "liberal lubrication ensures peak performance"

I too have tried various oils and greases, the stuff we got with the knocker from Jock was millers, which was discontinued. However I recently bought millers Pin  Bush Lube. Have yet to try. I will diesel rag the old off first, as mentioned the grinding paste problem builds up and I reckon frequent degreasing is helpful and the knocker cleans up nice as well.

Archived