Drills

Robbell

I got a 24v dewalt and am down to last battery, will do a couple of gate posts then stuffed. Also got 18v dewalt but that struggles especially if drilling large telegraph poles that customers want to use for gate posts. 24v  battery is nearly as expensive as the drill so may go down the stihl route. Been taking a generator recently and using a 110v sds drill.

I do various other work apart from fencing. I use a brace with augers it takes a bit longer, Im reluctant to spend hundreds on a tool I will seldom use. When a job comes up that justifies it, I will buy one. 

Recently the local parish council asked me to mount a notice board in the village. I used my dads bosch 24v drill. The battery didnt last one masonry hole. I googled batteries for it and as usual cheaper to buy a new complete drill. I did however find  an idea to solder leads into where the battery terminals contact and went back with 2 optima 12volt batteries that i have with a jump lead between    + & -   them to make 24v and drilled the lot. 

Ideally you need a 12volt drill and croc clip to vehicle/tractor battery. The above drill would probably run well enough at 12v in timber.

Please research and think this through if you try it.

Ive had my 18v Makita for about 7 years now and cant fault it, its been left out in all weathers and the only thing that's getting a bit wafty is the chuck but if you square up the end of your drill bits its fine! I can do easily 5 sets of double gates into big telegraph poles in a day on one 4 amp/hr battery. I have 4 batteries and if you've got them all charged you are unlikely to need anything else in a day. My ex bought it for me for Christmas and to this day still proclaim it to be the best thing that came out of that relationship!!

As I said  earlier  my battery hand tools are getting as the batters need replacing having to charge them more frequently so on the recommendations of  some of  you fellas bought myself a sthil BT45 first impressions are what a great piece of kit.

I am not a great fan of keyless chucks does anyone know if it’s possible to change the chuck for a SDS plus chuck they are a lot faster changing bits and never had bit spin in one.

An answer for red stag - I was drilling a into a gate post the other day with the stihl drill thought I would save time and keep the ordinary length drill bit in it rather than changing to the 12" long one, wasn't quite long enough drill bit got stuck and before I knew it the whole chuck un screwed itself from the engine and was left attached to the drill bit hanging out of the post! So the answer to the question yes the chuck can be changed lol

After 10 mins of putting it all back together I thought I may as well use the long drill bit!!

Archived