Drill bits

Ajmoore1

Hi,

As the drill topic is going on thought I would ask what drill bits do people use. I use a http://m.screwfix.com/p/armeg-wood-beaver-drill-bit-19mm/47541 for gate hinges but have to use an extension to get through gate posts which is bit of a pain.

Also for morticing strainers I have tried a 50mm forstner bit but found it struggled. Does anyone else drill strainers for morticing as I think the do look good and should be quicker than chisel.

Comments appreciated

I find a 400mm 20mm auger bit works well on the gate posts as the chaff is still being cleared as the auger is not lost inside the hole.

We use a 50mm forstner bit for struts but you have to keep it very sharp but makes finishing off with a chisel far easier

And always have a petrol generator with us (to run the kettle..!) so use a 110v volt dewalt corded drill that in low will chug through most things

Those wood beaver bits go well but I'm nervous of the extension coming off and the bit getting stuck when wanting to drill a blind hole. Mine could do with a wee sharpen after hitting a nail :(

I get on ok with a 50mm forstner, but tend to use them when I have a day of doing struts as the minutes saved add up over a day. I still square the hole with a chisel, square strut in a round hole : / But for just a few struts wouldn't bother bringing the drill.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest- what is everyones method of getting the 3 holes through the top hanging band on gates, I clamp the band in position and then use an HSS 10mm bit to go through so it doesn't matter if it catches the band- I usually come from both sides of the gate and clear it out really well so I can push the bolts through by hand, I find it can be easy to damage the threads on the bolt against the band if using a hammer for persuasion.

I drill from both sides half way then eye up and bore through. Sounds a bit hit and miss but I eye it up . Any out of alignment is then in the middle of the top bar. I tend to find the wood is always narrower than the band and a slack fit until tightened .

Archived