post length

Gordon McMillan

Think the ground conditions will have a lot to do with ur choice then hight off the fence.but what am trying to advice some off my client is its well worth putting a Elric stand off fence in areas where there is a lot of cattle our horse pressure I think it saves a fence in high prsure area and it not that much extra

I use 5'6" and 6' and often put some and some on the machine as however well you look at a job there will often be places where some longer ones are handy, expecially around boundaries. If its bad with rabbits or made up ground I will commonly use 7-8' as well.

Am on 5'6" for all inters but am considering going to 6 foot on wider spacing regardless of stock type. Electric is the way forward for unruly cows.  I once worked in Ireland and we would just use one strand of electric ( with low, gappy hedge behind) to keep cattle in along roads. And when you brought them in you just strung thin blue string up and you could guide them anywhere. It was amazing to see a herd of 50 18-22 month old stirks stopping dead in their tracks as there was a piece of string across the road.

I use 5'6" also but find that the fence line doesnt stay straight for long with cattle scratching or leaning over it. Thinking about using 6' from now on. A hot wire on the top is best but no farmer seems to want to go down that road. My dads farm has a hot wire right round every field as his Bull just went where it wanted. It is connected to the mains! That soon stopped him on his tracks. Just need to have a walk round fence line once a year with chainsaw to make sure its not getting earthed anywhere. Keeps the ditches free of cattle also which obviously helps the drainege out. Works well

I used 7ft stakes with a strand of barb on the bottom at about six inches then stock netting then a further to strands of barb it stood over 5ft with 8ft strainers on the turns and ends going down a lane to keep wild limos in farmer well chuffed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Always try to stick to the ratio of 2:1

Thats's 2 out the ground and 1 in the ground

e.g. 1.2m high fence posts will have 0.6m in the ground

1.8m high fence post will have 0.9m in the ground etc.

With the exception of strainers, where as much as possible is driven into the ground, usually 1.2m strainer has 1,2m in the ground.

Always try to stick to the ratio of 2:1

Thats's 2 out the ground and 1 in the ground

e.g. 1.2m high fence posts will have 0.6m in the ground

1.8m high fence post will have 0.9m in the ground etc.

With the exception of strainers, where as much as possible is driven into the ground, usually 1.2m strainer has 1,2m in the ground.

Nice rule of thumb formula.

Archived