stock fence clamps

premnayloon

I use a set of blacksmith made ones. Heavy duty angle iron with strips of oak timber on each so when clamping together doesn't damaged the wire. Clamps together with 4 19mm nut which we use the chainsaw spark plug spanner to tighten. Works very well, been using them for over 10 years.

I have thought about buying a set but at £80+ seem expensive. Do the drivell ones just clamp the wire between the metal bars? What stops them slipping on the wire or damaging? Would be interested in seeing a set but nobody seems to stock them.

Looked at the wedge one recently but would be worried the wedges would damage the wire.

Regards

I have a strainrite clamp with the winder bits (fancy nuts), I tried getting a wedge clamp but their wedge clamps weren't over here  when I brought it back then. I think they were having a slight problem with the mark 1 version. MARK 2 now out  Some one has told me there a bit fidley as when you tap one in tighter your slackening another wedge BUT ive never used one so DON'T rely on this info.  I have made a winder handle to screw the bits on quicker and then tap tight with hammer. 

Set off tornado style claps but just use top and bottom bolt can almost hand tighting them because off the way I have set up the shacels they twist the clamp 45 degre and grip the wire with little our no damage to the wire.

Works well on job s that they need set up a lot off times for they hard bit to pull up

Tell drivable clamps are steel to steel, it is a three sided piece of metal right angled, that attaches to a rounded main section ,

Ill try and post pics this week , they work well have never slipped yet which surprised me too,

The midday made ones were to flat pieces clamped together they did slip so got a strip of steel welded noon plate, and that sorted it ,

I often wonder if it's worth getting and old inner tube, slipped over the clamp, like a condom, ( sorry couldn't think of a better description) that would stop slippage .

I have a strainrite clamp with the winder bits (fancy nuts), I tried getting a wedge clamp but their wedge clamps weren't over here when I brought it back then. I think they were having a slight problem with the mark 1 version. MARK 2 now out Some one has told me there a bit fidley as when you tap one in tighter your slackening another wedge BUT ive never used one so DON'T rely on this info. I have made a winder handle to screw the bits on quicker and then tap tight with hammer.

How heavy are the strainrite clamps? I'm after a stocknet clamp that will be a bit lighter to carry and quick to put on and off. So the nuts had a handle but needed modifying a bit?

We do have one sort with wedges, not sure what make, but it's only lightweight, although it is ok. I generally use the Drivall clamp. We have the handles , but we also have a set of bolts and we mainly use them and tighten them up with a battery operated i pact driver. Ends up being quite quick. Although not as keen on there deer fencer clamp, our now has a big bow in in, even though we pull it top middle and bottom.

Tell drivable clamps are steel to steel, it is a three sided piece of metal right angled, that attaches to a rounded main section ,

Ill try and post pics this week , they work well have never slipped yet which surprised me too,

The midday made ones were to flat pieces clamped together they did slip so got a strip of steel welded noon plate, and that sorted it ,

I often wonder if it's worth getting and old inner tube, slipped over the clamp, like a condom, ( sorry couldn't think of a better description) that would stop slippage .

Would be helpful if you could take a photo please.

Cheers

Jon

IMG_20150401_125500_zpsqdferykx.jpg
(Strainrite clamp with winder bits)You can put the winders on by hand and tighten with the hammer but it can take a few hits to put the crimp in the net so I made the little handle to add leverage, still hammer them half a turn to get them nice and tight after. I added the wire ropes to move the boundary strainer further from the clamp so the clamp isnt in the way when your working tight in a hedge. their not super quick to use but if u've forgotten your spanner u can still put the on.
The quickest clamp I've got in on the solo net, one second ,done, and you don't even leave the tractor seat.

• 2 weeks later...

I have have just bought one of the drivall blue clamps and was surprised how heavy it is. Simple but seems ok when using. Was thinking of getting another but notice they do a red one which is slightly more expensive and called the quick clamp. Does anyone know what the physical difference is between the blue and red one? I did contact tornado for one of theirs but they didn't have any in stock.

Cheers

Archived