Best day

Gordon McMillan

Whats the most stock fencing you guys have completed from scratch in 1 day ? Done 205 meters today on my own. Had to trim hedge back in places and knocked all the posts in by hand spaced at 3 meters. Ground was quite stony but reasonable. Standard spec. - HT - Trail wire, netting and 1 barb. Big flat stone dug in at both ends for struts.

Two U.S. us once did just under 500 metres by hand once in a day. It was only barb though. There were 8 strainers then intermediates at 4 metres. Was a dam hard day. The worst thing was it was end of May and it was a really warm day,and the ground had also turned quite hard. No chance I would do it in a day now though. I been to spoilt with a post kncoker. That was before I had a machine.

Would love a post knocker. But would need to buy a tractor first lol. I like the look of the tracked knockers but cant afforrd either at the moment. Im not fencing all year round as i live on a small island and you have to do a bit of everything as there isnt enough of the one thing to keep you going. Only way i could fence all year round would be to move off the island as the ferry fairs are a scandal. Im driving diggers for a building contractor at the moment but do fencing, sorting old sheds, building new sheds, concreting etc in my spare time. Will get a few pics tonight for you Aj

Cool sounds like you turn your hand to most things as required. Hard for me to comprehend living on such a small place. My first upgrade was not straight to a full post knocker. I ended up buying a post knocker that fits on a mini digger, I used to hire the mini digger in as and when I needed it. I couldn't believe how much quicker it made things. Still i understand your position and how you couldn't run to it.

Got a farming buddy who has a knocker i can call him in as and when i need him to knock strainers in usually as i just do posts by hand. He only charges me 20 odd quid an hour. I was brought up digginng strainers in using an auger that worked of a small international tractor then packing around strainer with punch. Dark days lol

• 2 weeks later...

Blooming 'eck Gordon.  If you are young you might pay for it later. Very impressive workrate.  I think the most we have ever done is just over 200mtr in a day with a knocker. Rarely get long straight runs. All the straight forward fields are arable round here. Then forage then stock, then tree plantations if totally useless land. From a 200hp tractor view anyway.

I too do other things which keeps me self employed all the time. Never get bored.

Im 10 years ahead, past the age of indestructible invinciblity. I did the same when younger, setting records of achievement, For a while now I've been trying to work more intelligently less harder. I used to be Yorkshire tight, do it by hand if  I could saving money. Now I will spend hundreds or thousands, knowing and  also hoping I can work longer.  How much do you lose if off work for weeks injured?

Might sound a bit Grandad-ish,  but we are always changing like when we went through phases of interest as kids, starwars, lego, britains, football, video games etc. Your youth will also go Im sorry to say.

Well done on thriving on hard work but don't let it break you. I'd lose the will to live if I couldn't work because I was  damaged.

Archived