Long straight runs.

Ajmoore1

As per title not something that I have the pleasure in doing. Usual is odd shaped field boundaries.

Got a job to do which involves a 300m straight run. Plan is to place box strainer either end and straining post at 100m and 200m. Tie off both at both ends and strain to the middle using two boundary clamps and then join the netting with gripples.

Question being is 300m to long to strain in one go? As the wire won't be tied off at the intermediate strainers is it acceptable to hard staple on to them?

I use two 2 ton wire ratchet hand pullers to tension the wire but am thinking of getting a couple of hayes boundary strainers, are they the best to get as expensive, nearly £300 for a pair including vat or is there a cheaper alternative.

Cheers in advance

Jon

Hi there,

I think a lot of people will have different opinions on this. But in my opinion. If you are usimg high tensile wire and also with the torus wire that we use. If I had a box strainer at both ends i would quite happily pull this in one go. I would tie on at one end, and you could either pull to middle or I would even be happy depending on the ground to pull straight to the end. If it is one long straight run there should be no problems. We use the Drivall boundary clamps and strain rite strainers, not sure how much they are now, but they work well for us.

Also I wouldn't hard staple on to the strainers, however if these are in a straight line and no turns, I would question if you really need them,

i concur with frontrow, i straight lines , ht wire then a pull from one end should be achievable, i wouldnt hard staple either what strain is on the turners if its a straight pull, 

the advantage i always feel of a pull to the middle is its equal torque on the wire so it should be an easier more even pull, i would say though that 300 mtrs is the max i would pull from one end ,

In 2001 I had an emergancy temp fence across a moor so the guy could lamb his sheep as foot and mouth prevented  animal movement back to his farm steading

750m in one pull dead straight, box strainers either end,  pulled with tractor,  hand knocked posts ever 8 or 10m finished by lunch lol

that fence still stands although he's added more posts but its still tight, the wire was the short lived MV range HTMV 8/90/15-30

long pulls are ok but its sometime easier to do short pulls

I agree as well, we did a job recently where we were pulling over 430m in one straight pull 9ft strainers at both ends tied off one end used the quick fencer to take most of the slack out just up to the strainer then put the clamp on and pulled the last bit up with the chains round the strainer post and tied off, worked fine no need for and strainers in middle if its a straight line.  

A contractor round my way does the net then posts I feel the is a real risk of damaging the net, all it needs is to have your phone ring, or hit a rut and the chapper has taken the net, for me bottom.line then posts , ideally bottom and top lines makes squaring up posts easier, but adds to awkward Ness when adding s

The other lines and going outside turners but works well.on straight runs.

Another question. When doing long straight pulls do you put the intermediates in first or tension netting up and knock the posts in using the netting as the line. I seen a contractor do it thus way on a 200m straight run.

Cheers

Jon

I have done this  on  shorter runs, it saves time messing with a line, is quicker but has the risks mentioned and weight causes twist and leans. Only fractional but can be annoying.

Archived