Red Derv

stevew

A dark area ...As far as I'm aware if the tractor is going to do an agricultural operation in a field then its fine, as long as your not pulling a trailer full of posts to supply to someone this would make it haulage. Cranes can run on red as they only use the road to get to the job they are going to do.

i think it depends on which VOSA person you get to what their opinion is..?  

That's what I thought Charlie but they said if you are the farmer doing it for your own farm operation then it's ok.

But if you are a contractor and charge then it is commercial especially if you carry goods to be used ( posts wire ) then it's commercial haulage. VOSA are self funding and are pulling people left right and centre at the moment setting up in a lay-by for just a few hours then moving

• 4 weeks later...

It's a funny area heard alsorts. Things like distance from base your travelling etc. Got a friend who moves a digger behind tractor for tree shearing he says its for ag use and that makes it legal if was going to building site that's illegal he says. Bradburys thing is online if you search think it was his day.

I've got a customer/friend who runs a large tractor dealership. He spoke to police as by law tractors aren't allowed over 25mph I think. The policeman said when we have got to start worrying about tractors it will be a poor job. I think a lot of it comes down to being sensible and not drawing attention not yourself (unsafe loads, long tails backs and things hanging of machine or bits missing)

It's a funny area heard alsorts. Things like distance from base your travelling etc. Got a friend who moves a digger behind tractor for tree shearing he says its for ag use and that makes it legal if was going to building site that's illegal he says. Bradburys thing is online if you search think it was his day.

I've got a customer/friend who runs a large tractor dealership. He spoke to police as by law tractors aren't allowed over 25mph I think. The policeman said when we have got to start worrying about tractors it will be a poor job. I think a lot of it comes down to being sensible and not drawing attention not yourself (unsafe loads, long tails backs and things hanging of machine or bits missing)

The problem is unless its serious the police stay out of it and assist VOSA  as needed, which as already mentioned is self funded now and driving by targets most likely.

But valid points James, one needs to show professional attitude on the road. They are unlikely to come in to the field without a sure reason.

The writer of the letter knows the art of building up for an anticlimax.

Guess it's the practise they get!

Isn't it time they just did un dyed fuel for all then if they really have to help the 'poor farmers, ' refund it like like the vat setup. Whilst everyone else plays on an even field.

They would only need to crack down (hard) on a small group of abusers.

Instead of the vagueness and potential unfair playing field we have at present.

If a fencing contractor primarily uses a tractor for fence contract work. Uses DERV not red. Can they  still run the tractor on Agricultural VED catergory (road tax)  Because you would still be insured as an agricultural contractor. Is there another class you can register it as?

The whole thing is as clear as mud and not well thought out I reckon.

I think you are wrong Stevew. I know someone who was recently pulled into a VOSA area while delivering haylage with a big trailer carrying 30 plus bales & my mate think he's in the poo so comes up with a story about having his own stock in rented building (50 miles from home.) 

VOSA were not buying it so he fessed up only for the VOSA guy to say because he had the loader on the tractor he was ok as he was supplying a service and not simply hauling. He then went on to say that a contracor can go to a farm and haul grass on red but if the farmers son from next door came round to help cart then he's doing it for hire and reward do needs white, however if the contractor hires the tractor off him and then pays him to drive it then its OK on red again.

Now to take it a bit further, I was pulled into a vosa check point with landrover and trailer and im thinking Tachograph! but because im not selling and delivering to customers but supplying a service with tools then I'm OK without a tacho as long as i don't travel more than 50 miles in a straight line

Im thinking if we are offering a service and using it foe agri & forestry fencing we are ok, If with go to a garden / domestic  job then we need white

Looks lik it comes back to being a bit of a grey area and does anyone actually know the full rules. I sure don't. I got let off a few misdemeanours a year or two ago luckily, just depends on which officer you get some time, I was fortunate enough to have one with a mutual interest in rugby that had played against at county level v Lincolnshire police who he was playing for just two nights earlier.

Archived