Post plate

HenryG

After some advice..... I've got a Bryce post plate fitted to my vector machine, I found the 'V' that sits on the post to hold it was to big so I cut that off and put a shaved bolt on it instead, but that wasn't strong enough and not compatible with the rock spike, so I then used a piece of small angle iron which worked well so long as the ground was softish but as soon as ground was hard it would bounce off the post...... So now I'm back to large angle iron which is fine on gate posts and strainers but it will sometimes split anything smaller like 5x3 and 3-4 rounds..... So was wondering what everyone else uses to hold the post in place....

I sometimes put the spike beyond the post top. They rarely shift. I do however rarely work on rocky ground. I discussed this with another fencer who had the bounce problem. His hammer weight was much lighter. Same effect as using a lump hammer as opposed to a claw hammer.

Also do you have rubber belting in between the post cap and the hammer weight?

I only use the angle spike on strainers with smaller posts have it up against the post rather than on it...if the post starts to move in the wrong direction I lift the plate and move it to the opposite side to then bring it back.

If the ground is very hard we have in the past smashed it up on the rock spice and had to weld a new one on.but used smaller lighter angle than Bryce use so it don't leave such a big hole

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum and very fitting given I have just spent the week welding up the post cap for my Wrag knocker- a couple of the welds cracked and so everything has been beefed up and reinforced. I just have a spike on my post plate which holds most things including 3-4 inch stakes in place but when the ground gets heavy going and the hammer (200kg) bounces a lot the post plate also bounces and the post tends to ping off  regardless of the holding spike.

I often think I might weld a cup or ring on to the postcap and do away with the spike altogether and just use the cup to push and pull the post in required direction. I think Bryce have got the right idea with their weldless post cap.!

On my Wrag I have an angle iron at the back of the plate so it worked with the rockspike but found that it would split chesnut posts easily so out of an old haybob tine I made 5 little spikes and put them in a pattern the same as on a dice and put them nearer the edge of the plate. This gave me the best of both worlds and worked very well. Also I had customers that weren't happy with the v in the tops of the posts. I now have the protech and find the spikes very good, I have since tried to replicate the spikes on the wrag but the spikes snapped off on the first strainer so I think you need to weld them through the plate or maybe the weld was too brittle. One thing I have also found with the angle irons is that the gang nails after time do squash the end over a bit but the spikes seem to be ok.

I cut my log splitter of the Bryce post cap, welded a nut and bolt to it, made up a fair lump of weld around it then ground it to a point. It's about the size of a 2p piece at the bottom. Works well in general unless it's rock hard knocking strainers in then I just wrap chain round the mast to hold it where it wants to be and keep knocking.

I've done the nut option between 1/2 and 3/4 inch long but sometimes if you use the Rock spike the nut gets stuck in top of Rick spike, different things work better for different jobs but the post plates are to heavy and to expensive to have all the different options in the truck with you.....

• 3 weeks later...

Am forever grinding the spike off and then welding another on, you need some form of restraint but not found one that works for me yet.

The last time I welded on a piece off a waratah and inadvertently made one of those torpedo log splitters, so that didn't last an hour.

I will weld something on so there is space for a 7" strainer in side the cap next if its out of the way of the rock spike

I have made a post cap for 4" rounds and use a chain round strainers and no spike but I have nothing to hold the rock spike.

Archived