Competiton tree guard

Frontrowfencing

Hello fellow fencers,

Just thought I would ask on here as I know some of you have judged Young farmers competitons this year. I am judging on Sunday and I didn't realise the sped changes each year. I got the paperwork through today and this year it is a tree guard with posts on an angle and stock wire at the bottom.

I do have a question for you all that may have any ideas, as they are not u

Allowed griplles or crimes as far as I am aware, the stock wire around the bottom is going to be much shorter than around the top, and is going to be awkward on corners. Has anyone any ideas on what they are looking for on the judging of it, or getting the wire tight. It seems to me it will be a bit of a pain.

Not sure if I make sense. I don't usually make sense or so I am told.

No gripples on the Cumbrian round. Tom wasnt picked for his club some obscure reason (someone thought he was better but didnt get through to next round lol)

Not sure how they did it but when we thought Tom was doing it we looked at tying off on every corner

Yeah I was wondering about that rob, but even then the top will still be longer than the bottom. It seems an odd one. Definitely no griplles or crimps allowed.

How are you meant to keep the tension without using crimps or gripples?

Each end should be tied off, points for neatness the wire should be cut on a stagger and stripped back proportionately to allow the top to be longer than the bottom, to do this correctly will need some triginometery or offering some wire up to make a template.

Maybe so tepapa, but I ask you the question, if a customer asked you to do a job to a specification and you decide to change it because you can't be bothered to do it that way and there is an easier way, with out agreement, would you still expect the customer to pay you?

Maybe so tepapa, but I ask you the question, if a customer asked you to do a job to a specification and you decide to change it because you can't be bothered to do it that way and there is an easier way, with out agreement, would you still expect the customer to pay you?

You got me there front row, no I would change the spec whilst quoting not during the job,

I would like to see the spec, seems to me the only way to so this type of guard would be with rails, I can't figure how u would strut the angled corners.

I know its against the rules but by using Plain wire would show me they understood fencing and show netting maybe isn't the best product for this type of structue, just because its written on a spec sheet doesn't mean its right,

I hope the young fencers enjoy their day and you spot some talent emerging.

It's only the county round so I am sure most won't be taking it that seriously, basically the spec is they have four posts thta need to be on the angle approx 15 degrees. With 8/80/15 wire around the bottom and two rails on top, with line wire in between the rails I think. As rob say they can be sticklers on rules, although I am to soft probably. But at county they have to provide there own materials, at next round then all materials are provided and thtas what they have to use. Well it should be intersting, so I better go, I might but even learn a thing or two.

Well it was different,

Typical Lincolnshire young farmers. We are not a fencing county. Everyone struggled to do it in the time apart from one team who finsihed in about 50 mins early and hat was after they took it easy when I told them they still had an hour and ten to go so don't rush, they didn't care.

It's hard to judge, second year I have done it. Some of the problem the clubs have to beg and borrow materials at our county round as they are not provided so everyone gets as close as they can but are all diffenrt, for example, some had half round rails and some had square rails for the top. Some had a mix as they couldn't get all half rounds. At this level it's almost unfair to judge on materials as they do what they can to get them. The team that finsihed early,p came with some old rusty wire that was awful really, stretched and just a mess, but then once they had finished they took it all down and took it back home as they had to put it back up in the field, as they had taken the cattle out the field to borrow the wire for the day.

As for the netting on the angled posts, well whoever wrote the rules needs shooting in my opinion, a hard task to do well even for a professional I think. Apparently another count were told they did not have to angle the posts just do them upright in there county round, but that will only give them a disadvantage in the area rounds when coming to do it properly. Also on the grape vine it was mentioned that the chairman up high apparently said it wouldn't be a problem and they should just staple to one post, then tension the wire to the next posts staple off and then repeat on the next post etc. well I would love to see him give it a go.

They tried hard and some did a good job, some not so good. If you could have taken the best bits from each guard and combined them it would have been a reasonable effort.

Archived