what snips

premnayloon

what snips do you all use for the cutting of wire.

my first choice is the Felco c7 snips, though i ususally use the same  style but different makes, 

i am really annoyed around 5-6 years ago i found a seller on Ebay selling snips identical to the Felco ones, same colour etc,  for 0nly £2.00 per set i took ten thinking they would be cheap and nasty there were excellent so kept a couple of sets to myself and knocked the rest out at a tenner each, went to buy more but the sellera had sold out when i bought the original ten he had 200-3oo remaining.

i have wondered if Knipex ones are any better,

I had some knipex recently and they lasted 5 minutes! I get some off ebay that look the same for £20 from a seller called powerfix direct, they seem to last quite a while but never found what I would call a really good set that last cutting 3.15ht wire

Just a query rob why don't you like felco, light easily carried in pockets, cuts all gauges of wire, the only fault I've had with that style of cutters, though not with the actual felco ones is the springs are liable to go but new spring are available from felco.

Just a query rob why don't you like felco, light easily carried in pockets, cuts all gauges of wire, the only fault I've had with that style of cutters, though not with the actual felco ones is the springs are liable to go but new spring are available from felco.

i dont know realy, they just hung about in buckets for a few years and no one would use them, think i gave them away in the end

I use 8"maun pliers for stripping hinge joints, the side cutters went blunt after 18 months so now got knipex for cutting and all good so far, not tried the others.

I dropped and lost some traditional fencing pliers in a wet ditch and don't miss them, but if I lost my maun pliers I would have to stop fencing till I got a new pair

The handles open a bit wide as well which is a bit of a strain when cutting lots if ht wire as they cut with a shock load effect.

As Charlie says designed for cable as well.

Felco but iv got a old set off fencing pliers as well . Wish I could get a another set off them they where made to last

Me too they were draper but a slimmer design and super at cutting. I lost them

http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/tools-accessories/cutting/

We use the side cutting ones on this link. They are maun I think. We find them the best, some times the outside bit chips and it's hard to cut the knots out, but angle ground down and they are good again. Fantastic on the torus knot and also good for undoing hinge joint. Would never be without mine.

Archived