Augering holes for stock fencing

ffencing

I've a couple of jobs that aren't going to be suitable for the tractor mounted Bryce, one due to access width and not being to able to get in the field with a tractor and the second working on a steepish bank with overhanging trees for good measure. 

(Hence my thread about post drivers for mini diggers).

Got a mini digger mounted auger and so was thinking of augering the holes and postcrete/concreting/tamping.

Does anyone do much of this, how well will 4-5" inter stakes take being tamped into an 8" augered hole?

Will postcreted strainers be up to straining the same day (will be box strainers).

Any thoughts most appreciated.

why not drive the inters in with a drivall? auger the strainers maybe but I have got a big drivall that will take 6" strainers so I usually dig a tight 2' deep hole, soak with water if need be and then knock them in. surprising how well it goes. I'm not keen on augering and back ramming, time consuming and never seem to get them so tight.

If your going to use postcrete make sur you use class 4 posts as you don't want to be the one replacing them in 6 years time ! If your going to ram them up fit a foot to the bottom of the strangers first this makes a massive difference to them holding tight

If your going to use postcrete make sur you use class 4 posts as you don't want to be the one replacing them in 6 years time ! If your going to ram them up fit a foot to the bottom of the strangers first this makes a massive difference to them holding tight

Yes will be top notch creosoted posts, think for the effort of fitting foots, plates and anchors too strainers to ram them tight, you're as well to postcrete them excepting the risk of rot that can be magnified by being set in concrete.

why not drive the inters in with a drivall? auger the strainers maybe but I have got a big drivall that will take 6" strainers so I usually dig a tight 2' deep hole, soak with water if need be and then knock them in. surprising how well it goes. I'm not keen on augering and back ramming, time consuming and never seem to get them so tight.

The drivall is for strictly emergencies, if there's any chance at all, no matter how small, of getting a machine close to the job then that's the way!

don't use postcrete, we had a job last ear to replace all the strainers on a fence that had been concreted in, put a foot on the bottom of your strainer and a breast plat on the front and it shouldn't move, i don't know how you usally strut but long and low is the way i do them 9' strut about 20" up from the ground

Postcrete NO! Tamp down consontrating on the bottom and top of the hole, if their box strainers there will be less need for foots( less lifting forces) but I still would for piece of mind and u could strain straight away, the digging is the hard part and u have an auger for that.

You would only need to foot the termination strainer. Tie 4mm mild wire to a block, block In hole, half ram up, pull wire up tight and staple off, finish ramming up, only takes minutes and no worries.

There is a good thread on swinging feet on here somewhere, with good pics

Archived