Thoughts on NZ style

aaron

Evening all.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the way in which New Zealanders knock there posts in at 90 degrees to the ground? I like the idea especially on steep ground for several reason such as ease of tying off. I am probably splitting hairs but the strength of the posts due to more surface being in contact with the ground? Does anyone fence like this over here? Do you find your customers complain about 'wonky posts' as we all know farmers don't like change!

Regards

Aaron

Never needed to do it myself on the flat of east yorkshire yet.  New Zealanders had to innovate to utilise their country and they have developed some world leading tools and techniques.

Not everything that works over there is viable or suited to here.  Differing climate, soils. Plentiful supply of timber. Thousands of acre plains fenced of etc.

The plain wire  with droppers is not a style that works that well from what Ive seen here.

In answer to your question. I think once you get beyond a certain angle it makes sense to go at a right angle to the ground.

Ye I put all my inters and some strainers in 90 degrees to the contour of the ground. Vertical posts are wrong to me. I think its easier to put posts in by spirit level and a lot harder to gauge to the contour, which is why a lot of people do it that way.

I find that as long as you explain why ur doing things differently they will except change quite happily.

John, it must take some persuading when folk see posts at 90 degrees, I don't dispute the argument for doing it, but I think it would need a real sea change in culture for folk to accept it,

If you have customers who are happy to have you do it then well done to you.

I think k with the folk up here,discretion is the better part of valour

I suppose the thinking with vertical posts are, there is less surface area to be used to climb on, also if post breaks its more likely to fall right down,

Would you mind posting some pics, I would like to see examples just so I can visualize the scene.

I prefer to see them plumb but I do a fair bit on steep banks and will always lean them down hill a bit half a bubble say on the level. it looks really bad to me if they lean past plumb up hill. All I make sure of is that I take my post height from up side of the post and not the downside.

Archived