removing drive in gate hooks

premnayloon

whats the best way to remove them once they are in , i know they arent designed to come back out!

but if to lower two gates and would liek to re use the hooks ,

also am, i being thick or is there a good reason why gates now cont come with two sets of holes so they can be lowered, why the two holes at the top and only on at the bottom.

The two major manufacturers of gates use different height hooks on their metal posts so they put two holes in the gates so they are interchangeable between manufacturers.

I use wedges, blocks and brute force to hammer them out but its not easy and they may bend. Probably easier and more economical to cut the end of and put in a new one

Just keep belting it left to right until it becomes loosened in the hole then lever it out with a bar. but if its a nice post and/or a square one you would be better off cutting it off and knocking it in flush then putting in a new one or use a bolt on one over the top

The two major manufacturers of gates use different height hooks on their metal posts so they put two holes in the gates so they are interchangeable between manufacturers.

I use wedges, blocks and brute force to hammer them out but its not easy and they may bend. Probably easier and more economical to cut the end of and put in a new one

John, that's fair enough but why not make that extra h at the bottom at the same time, and give option for lowering gates

John, that's fair enough but why not make that extra h at the bottom at the same time, and give option for lowering gates

I don't make the gates , I just asked the manufacturer once, I don't understand why they all can't use the same distances

The hammer in ones, Ive wedged crowbars in and keep readjusting the crowbar.

Or a big adjustable spanner over the square shank if you dont want to damage hnge pin. Wiggle from side to side then lever against the pin.

Archived