post and rail

premnayloon

Got around 300 metres of post and double rail fence to put up was just wondering if there is an easy way to put up rails by myself, my plan was to string two plain lines at the same height as the top of the the rails, 

With a post at either end if each rail and one in the centre, I was intending then to nail the rail along the wire at the centre post the nail each end if that makes sense!

Is there an easier way, to do the job solo.

The best way is to make a frame up, you can do this with timber or steel I will take a picture of the type we use and post it tomorrow, as it's not that easy to explain, but basically it hooks onto the posts and has lugs set at the correct hight for the rails, you then just slide the rails in place and nail them on.

Another good tip is to lay the rails on the ground to use as a guide when you drive the posts in, generally we drive in about 8 posts then rail them up then another 8 etc there nothing worst than driving in 40 posts and finding you've got out of place and the rails won't fit

Cheers for the advice, I won't have time to drive posts and the rail at same time, my chapped is hired my plan was since I am using 3.6 more posts,  I was gong to space posts at 1.75 spacing (3.5 more total) allows some margin for error on each post

Interested to see your frame if I can't get one made this time, I will look to get one made for future work.

Thanks very much.

Archived